• Create Account

GUI within a DirectX program

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 684

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hello

I would need a library that permit to insert a GUI system into the D3D graphics chain. (in order to display menus, dialogs, .... within the 'game' graphics)
Can someone advice me a library please? Thanks

Nico Posted Image

Sponsor:

#2 TiagoCosta   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2438

2Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Take a look at CEGUI.

Or Scaleform if you have lots of money. Posted Image

#3 kubera   Members   -  Reputation: 966

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hi!

I have not investigated the topic, but I have seen a similar question in the Polish GameDev
http://Warsztat.gd

Maybe you would check them:

#4 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 684

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thank you both of you that's exactly what I need Posted Image !
I'll have a look on these different libraries !

Bye
Nico

#5 Dunge   Members   -  Reputation: 405

2Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

I once tried to integrate AntTweakBar in my application but since my inputs comes from DInput/XInput instead of windows messages it wouldn't work. I tried to modify the source but never managed to get it working. Otherwise, it looks great.

#6 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 684

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thank you Dunge for your feedback about AntTweakBar.
I think I will use CEGUI

#7 stormwarestudios   Members   -  Reputation: 215

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Consider rolling your own, too...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I've referred to these in the past when coding GUIs in C++/OpenGL and JavaScript/HTML5 canvas, so they can really be applied to any technology platform.

#8 ATEFred   Members   -  Reputation: 1124

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

I think I will use CEGUI

It kind of depends what you need it for though. CEGUI is great, but much heavier than antweakbar. On my home engine I used both, and if you just want some debug gui, you will be up and running alot faster with Antweakbar. That said, for a game gui or the likes, it's not really enough.

#9 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 684

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Consider rolling your own, too...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I've referred to these in the past when coding GUIs in C++/OpenGL and JavaScript/HTML5 canvas, so they can really be applied to any technology platform.

Very interesting article, thanks. I won't reinvent the wheel, but this paper is interesting for seeing how it possibly could work and been implemented.

I think I will use CEGUI

It kind of depends what you need it for though. CEGUI is great, but much heavier than antweakbar. On my home engine I used both, and if you just want some debug gui, you will be up and running alot faster with Antweakbar. That said, for a game gui or the likes, it's not really enough.

I already use DXUT GUI implementation for some programs (mesh converter, various tools) but, indeed, it isn't enough for the game application purposes.

Bye Posted Image
Nico

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS