• Create Account

What makes a good portfolio/demo reel website?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17999

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what you guys think are good features for a portfolio or demo-reel website for composers and/or sound effects creators looking to find work.

There are a few obvious points:
  • Should have a built-in music/sound player.
  • Should be relatively simple -- you don't want a lot of other content distracting potential clients.
  • Should have an easy-to-use contact form and/or contact details.
What else is important?

I see it's pretty common to have embedded tracks hosted on SoundCloud -- is this a preferred way to go, or would a good custom music player embedded into the site be a good option? Should it perhaps be easy to mix and match either or both of these approaches?

What about the back-end of the site as a composer -- are there any features you think are invaluable or particularly important? I would think a quick and easy-to-use way of uploading your music and configuring the music-player (if this is not automatic) would probably be a priority, but is anything else required?

Sponsor:

#2 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9860

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

So, hosted Wordpress, which natively supports SoundCloud embedding, and WYSIWYG contact forms?

And I'd take SoundCloud over a custom player any day, because it has fantastic smartphone support (something missing from a number of its competitors).

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#3 StauntonLick   Members   -  Reputation: 148

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:04 AM

One idea would be an easy way to manage a library of royalty free tracks so that the composer can sell directly from their website.

I think there a bunch of different sites that offer the various services composers need, but it would be nice to have them all in one place, e.g.
- Contact management
- Embedded music player with stat tracking
- eCommerce support & library management (Possibly Bandcamp)
- Nice web design for the less technically minded
- Advertising (PPC/SEO)
- Social media linking (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- Content Management System for updating client info, bio, reviews, etc.
Jonny Martyr
Composer & Sound Designer for Games & Film
www.jonnymartyr.com

#4 nsmadsen   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3902

1Likes

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

I agree with all of the points made here and wanted to add PLEASE don't set the music player to auto-play. :P
Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

#5 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17999

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

PLEASE don't set the music player to auto-play.

Absolutely, that's a big no-no in almost any web-design project, and a portfolio is certainly no exception to the rule!

And I'd take SoundCloud over a custom player any day, because it has fantastic smartphone support

Aha, that's some pretty sound reasoning, thanks for the input.

I'm well aware of the suitability of a WordPress installation for this as well -- I'm actually asking because I'm considering creating a premium WordPress template specifically to suit the needs of the composer/sound-guy/musician audience -- I think there could be value in providing a template which (as StauntonLick suggests) provides all of the requirements in a single, easy-to-set-up and easy-to-use package; something that allows a range of stylish designs and layouts and which the user can easily customise to meet their needs without necessarily having beyond-average technical skills.

Would people be interested in such a system?

- Contact management

Basically an address book, perhaps with some functionality for grouping/categorising contacts and adding notes? I guess you would probably want to be able to import contacts from popular services such as gmail as well?

- Nice web design for the less technically minded

How about a series of different template/layout options (essentially completely different page layouts), each with a couple of different configurations (left menu/right menu, top-player/bottom-player/middle-of-page-player, etc.), and then a selection of "skins" (different colours and graphical elements, etc.) that can be applied to any of the layouts to produce a different look. From there you could make small customisations (select different colours, apply your own logos, etc.) with a simple editor interface to really make the site your own.

Thanks for the great feedback so far guys, you've given me a couple of extra ideas that I think would really add value. Posted Image

#6 Azul   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

I am kind of working up a portfolio site myself, I was thinking one thing that I don't see that I think would help sell your stuff is maybe a video that shows either some actual game footage or still shots (or even concept) art while playing a section of your songs. I remember reading the way Jeremy Soule landed his first gig was he took a tape of various video games and dubbed his own music over the existing ones. Even some still shots of a game screen with your music playing might help people visualize a bit more. One video could show lots of little clips. This is just a thought I'm going with, what do you think?

Thats all I have to add that hasnt already been said. I'm going the Wordpress route and also using bandcamp just for selling stuff I keep the rights to.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS