• Create Account

How the hell do you answer a phone?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 NoisyApe   Members   -  Reputation: 104

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

"Hello?", isn't that all you're supposed to say? Am I missing something?

Sponsor:

#2 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3139

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hm, what are you up to?

#3 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1737

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Yo, yo, yo! What up?

#4 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2645

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

If you expect other than your friends to call you might want to answer with your name and whatever company you work at or something if its work related.

Now, the real problem is, what do you say when you call someone else???

o3o

#5 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3730

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Depends on the environment. If someone's calling my work phone, it's "this is _company_ _me_ speaking". If it's my resume google voice number, "hello, this is _me_". If it's my home number "Huloo?".

If I'm in Japan it's "moshimoshi?" even though that's only one of two things I've ever learned watching anime...

#6 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

I answer with, "Hi, I'd like two large double-pepperoni pizzas, and some garlic bread sticks."

<confused silence>

"I must have the wrong number," and hang up on them.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#7 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22812

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

>> "Hello?", isn't that all you're supposed to say? Am I missing something?

It is generally professional to give your name, and if you are at work, possibly include the name of the company.

Hello, this is <name>.
Thank you for calling <company>, this is <name>.
<company>, <name> speaking.

>> Now, the real problem is, what do you say when you call someone else???

When you call someone else, the correct reply after their welcome is to state your name and business. That gives them enough information to know if they are the right person or if you need to speak to someone else.

Hi, my name is <name> and I'm calling about <subject>.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#8 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1793

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

At my parents house I answer with "<Lastname> residence" and on my cellphone no one calls me, but if they did I'd probably say "hello". Posted Image No, but seriously I say "hello" when I get called.
Posted Image

#9 Net Gnome   Members   -  Reputation: 773

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

"SAY WORDS!" then i hang up if they don't immediately start talking... j/k usually "hello, this is <name>"

#10 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3139

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Actually, this is how you call someone else:

#11 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8187

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Whether the call is incoming or outgoing, you simply can't go wrong with heavy breathing. For extra credit, after at least 15 second of breathing and confusion, cap it off by violently slamming the receiver repeatedly against a hard surface. If they call back, answer normally and pretend nothing happened.

#12 Johannes1991   Members   -  Reputation: 433

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Here's a perfect example!
Posted Image
EnJOJ Gaming

#13 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5277

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Unless I'm at a conference or such gathering where numbers fly around and I usually get calls from people outside my address book I don't answer at all if it's not a number I recognize. If they leave a message I call them back. So I usually answer with "hey [caller name]" since it pops up on my phone when they dial in.

I used to answer "Hi, this is Drew Sikora" when picking up for unknown callers but I gave that up nd just switched to "Hello?" when everyone would still respond "Hi, is this Drew Sikora?". I am of the belief that people aren't really listening for more than a "hello" at the start of a call and are ready to respond with "Hi, is this [your name]" anyways so they do it automatically. *shrug*

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#14 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10179

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

This question begs the question: why do you ask this question? Is somebody giving you grief for how you answer the phone? If so, who is it (a family member, your boss, your girlfriend?), and what does that person say?
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#15 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10179

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Whether the call is incoming or outgoing, you simply can't go wrong with heavy breathing. For extra credit, after at least 15 second of breathing and confusion, cap it off by violently slamming the receiver repeatedly against a hard surface. If they call back, answer normally and pretend nothing happened.

Posted Image
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#16 Tachikoma   Members   -  Reputation: 552

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

At home: "Yep...."

At work: "<company_name>; <my_name> speaking..."
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

#17 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10449

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

I like to go with a ghetto 'Yo! What up?' to my friends. A terse 'Tristam speaking' to business calls, and I never, ever answer numbers that I don't recognise.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#18 SteveDeFacto   Banned   -  Reputation: 109

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Actually, this is how you call someone else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJu8xaRPD2c

Hahaha!

#19 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2914

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

I hate talking on phones so I try to keep conversations as short and simple as possible. I answer all calls, business or personal, with "Hello?". No need to introduce myself if you already know you're calling me...

It makes no sense to me though. Why do I hate talking on phones? How would I explain myself to Alexander Graham Bell? I prefer face to face conversations. But, phones are so much more convenient. Maybe its because going through the inconvenience of getting a face to face conversation makes the conversation more meaningful? I guess phones are good for ordering pizza deliveries though...

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#20 NoisyApe   Members   -  Reputation: 104

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

This question begs the question: why do you ask this question? Is somebody giving you grief for how you answer the phone? If so, who is it (a family member, your boss, your girlfriend?), and what does that person say?

No one gives me grief directly, so I can't really say anyone gives me grief. I give myself grief over the lack of flow in my telephone conversations, which usually stems from the opener. When calling someone it's pretty easy because I know the point in mind, but when someone is calling me I rarely know what the point of them calling me was, so I am very short, not because I'm trying to be rude, I just know they have a reason and until we get to it I feel like I'm being short, and so I create grief for myself.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS