• Create Account

Every Semicolon: A video capture of a game made from start to finish

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matt Carr   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 347

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Before starting our new game project I had a thought: that I could record the entire process from start to finish and put it online as both a learning tool for others, and a way of receiving feedback on what I do so I too might learn some new things and improve the game before it’s released. This will be a fairly long series as while the game is not massive, it’s certainly not a small weekend game-jam sort of production.

So far I’ve recorded 2 videos, one 2 hours and the other 4 hours long. Trying to talk to yourself while working for 4 hours straight and not devolve into inane rambling is difficult (so far impossible), but this is something I want to improve on as I continue with this series. I’d really appreciate feedback on any aspect of the videos, be it the game itself, the video production, what I talk about or my programming and development techniques.

Here is Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGnrQPWOss
(I recommend watching in fullscreen 1080P. Watch on YouTube)

Some of the events in this video:
  • I start a new Unity project and begin setting up the folder structure
  • I discuss some general concepts of the Unity engine
  • I write some basic scripts and show how to apply and use them
  • I show how to setup and use prefabs
  • I show some shader development and get fooled by Unity 3.5's new Linear lighting solution which sends me on a shader debugging session
  • I write a new custom editor window for measuring distance between objects
Here is Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy0jPFANGpg
(I recommend watching in fullscreen 1080P. Watch on YouTube)

• I develop the initial elements of a camera manager to handle smoothly repositioning the camera
  • I create the first basic siege weapon in the game, the catapult with placeholder graphics
  • I create the top and side aiming modes with placeholder controls and graphics
  • I create the first "bullet" and set it up to be shot into the fortress
A little about me: I work full time as the lead programmer of a team working on large “serious game” projects in Unity and work on my own stuff (like the game in this series) on the side in my spare time. I’ve been working with Unity for around 3 years almost every day.

I really want to evolve and improve these videos so any feedback is appreciated. Especially important is if you really hate anything I’m doing, please let me know and I’ll try to change that.

I'll also be posting each video on my Journal and will update this thread as new videos go up.

Sponsor:

#2 Matt Carr   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 347

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

If there aren't replies to this thread then I won't bump it in future and will just edit previous posts.

Parts 3 & 4 are now online. I've created a playlist that I'll update as new videos are added.

Part 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRDnN5ZQkPc&hd=1
(I Recommend watching in fullscreen 1080P. Youtube).

• I develop the initial elements of a camera manager to handle smoothly repositioning the camera
  • Made blocks have different damage states and be damaged based on collision velocity
  • Write an editor window to revert multiple selected prefabs

Part 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKd-CGFPuQ&hd=1
(I Recommend watching in fullscreen 1080P. Youtube).

• I spend some time on the 'blocks', making them something other than cubes and adding a stone block
  • I make blocks destroy themselves when their health hits zero
  • I create a couple of custom inspectors to manipulate and find scene objects
  • I add object following and look at functionality to the CameraManager and track fired shots in towards the target
  • I setup a system to determine when blocks are in an idle state to return the camera back to gameplay

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS