• Create Account

GDC 2012

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

#1 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 14622

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

So... 'tis that time of year, yet again.

Roll call! Who's going, what are you interested in seeing, and what looks most interesting from this year's conference lineup?

Sponsor:

#2 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

So... 'tis that time of year, yet again.

Roll call! Who's going, what are you interested in seeing, and what looks most interesting from this year's conference lineup?

I am going. Not sure what I'm looking to go to yet. I was going to look over the schedule this week. I've been too busy to look in any more till now :(

#3 Josh Petrie   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3099

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm going. Mostly for the beer and food.

Josh Petrie | Core Tools Engineer, 343i | Microsoft C++ MVP

#4 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4811

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

I suppose I should finish putting my schedule together this week... not many sessions mostly wandering around and meeting with people. Look forward to the parties and hanging out in friends suites sippin drinks till the wee hours Posted Image As usual.

I'll be in town Sunday morning so if anyone's around that wants to hang or whatever my cell is 732.492.5027. Just be sure to leave a message since i don't pick up for unknown callers. My only plan so far is my usual walk up Nob Hill and riding the cable car back down

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#5 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6328

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yep, gonna be there. Haven't drawn up a schedule yet.

#6 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6862

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Oh, right... GDC... *looks at continued lack of passport*... erm, next year? :D

#7 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4811

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

erm, next year? Posted Image

There's always next year... unless the world ends in December of course.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#8 adam4813   Members   -  Reputation: 655

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'll be there showing off my senior project for DeVry. Come and check it out as it is an interesting game concept with a custom CBES engine. The engine was built in the minor interim before the class started, and then refined during class as our engine was pushed to its limits.

#9 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

I went last year since it was on the company's dime, but I don't really think the conference in general is worth the price. Especially when you add hotel room and airfare, you're looking at a couple Gs. It is certainly worth it for networking for industry hopefuls, though.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#10 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I went last year since it was on the company's dime, but I don't really think the conference in general is worth the price. Especially when you add hotel room and airfare, you're looking at a couple Gs. It is certainly worth it for networking for industry hopefuls, though.

It does depend a lot on where you live. Travel inside the US is pretty cheap, but I am outside the US now and really felt the plane ticket this year. The hotel isn't that bad if you go with 1-2 other people; I think mine is only $70/night. The plane ticket was almost a grand on it's own though... blech.

#11 adam4813   Members   -  Reputation: 655

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Last year my pass was on GameDev.net, so I had to book a flight and hotel last minute. The hotel was a bad but cheap choice, and the last-minute (1 day notice) flight was roughly $250. This year I will book my flight in the next 2 days to get the best price I possibly can. Hotel has been done for a few weeks at about $200/person for 2.

#12 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

and the last-minute (1 day notice) flight was roughly $250.

Out of curiousity, where do you live?

#13 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4811

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

My airfare out of Newark Int'l for a cross-country hop was $389.60 round trip - I booked it at the end of last month.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#14 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

Posted Image
Soon...

#15 adam4813   Members   -  Reputation: 655

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

and the last-minute (1 day notice) flight was roughly $250.

Out of curiousity, where do you live?

Minot, ND. Though I had to drive 2 hours to fly as it was cheaper from the capitol (Bismarck).

#16 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 4640

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

I should be out there in the area.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
ScapeCode - Blog | SlimDX

#17 nsmadsen   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3730

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'll be there!
Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

#18 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

I just found out I have an extra cot in my room. It's about $70-80/night if anyone did not plan ahead/had plans fall through or knows someone who fits that situation.

#19 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm not going, nor am I playing the mod-meta-game Posted Image

But now I have Drew's cell phone number so I know what I'm doing when I get bored Posted Image

And on a more serious note, I'm going to make an official request of all those going: Have a competition to see which GameDev user can get the most pictures with booth babes.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#20 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6328

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

From what I've seen, there are very few booth babes at GDC. I guess that is probably a positive. However if you step outside, there are usually women advertising for the local gentleman's clubs.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS