• Create Account

Best Python 3d library?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Python#   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi everyone. I just want to know which 3d library is best suited for Python. I've know about Panda3d, but it refuses to work on my Python editor, and I used Pygame before but I don't know how powerful it's 3D ability is.

Sponsor:

#2 smr   Members   -  Reputation: 1623

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

There are a number of them. Panda3d is a good one, as you've mentioned, and it has been used to create games people actually play. Pygame is not a 3D engine. It just provides bindings to the OpenGL libraries, so any engine you would need to write yourself. A number of popular 3D engines written in other languages have python bindings. I've toyed with Ogre3d a few years ago and it did work, but I can't say anything more than that.

#3 Python#   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Okay, I'll give Panda3d another try. The problem with it is my Python gets an error when I try to import the Panda3d module. Could someone help me with this problem?

#4 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9851

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

What operating system are you running? What version of Python? What version of Panda3D?

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#5 Python#   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

What operating system are you running? What version of Python? What version of Panda3D?

Operating System: Windows 7
Python: 3.2.2
Panda3D: 1.7.2

#6 fla   Members   -  Reputation: 463

1Likes

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:52 AM

Hi, afaik Panda3D doesn't support Python 3.x, but it works with Python 2.x, for a "modern" value of x. :) Have you tried launching the application using the ppython (instead of python) command from commandline?
[ Plith ]

#7 Python#   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I figured it out, I downloaded Python 2.6 and put it into the python directory in Panda3D. Now I can import the Panda3D modules. Thanks for the help.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS