• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

Compressing mesh attributes

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chris_F   Members   -  Reputation: 2469

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Previously I have been using R32G32B32_FLOAT and R32G32_FLOAT formats for storing vertex attributes like position, normal and texture coordinates.

I was considering changing to formats like R16G16B16A16_FLOAT for position, R16G16B16A16_SNORM for normals and R16G16_UNORM for texture coordinates, as this reduces the size of my meshes considerably. I'm not 100% sure yet if the precision will be adequate and am interested to hear if anyone else uses similar formats.

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11850

0Likes

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Typically you really need 32-bit for positions. However 16-bit should be plenty for normals and texture coordinates.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS