• Create Account

Any good recommendations book for complete system engineering for game design?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 ajeaje   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

Any good recommendations book for complete system engineering for game design?

I need the complete example of the system analysis and design phase (ex:UML)

So far, I found this book only:
Software Engineering for Game Developers [With CDROM]
by John P. Flynt, Omar Salem

however its been sold out in amazon and Im looking for its CD-Rom which contains the UML data for a game.

Anyway, looking that its been published in 2004, is there any newer books in the same area that give depth system engineering explanation and example in game design?

Many Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 ajeaje   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

no recommendations?

#3 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19425

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

There tend not to be many resources on this particular topic, as there's no one correct approach and you'll see almost as many ways of structuring the underlying code as you'll see different games -- not to mention plenty of games are quickly thrown together with minimal thought given to structure beyond getting things to work -- even in games that have been beautifully engineered, there may not be any UML (or similar) diagrams for you to investigate.

If it helps though, remember that games aren't all that special -- they're just like any other type of software, and you can apply the lessons you learn from books that aren't focussed specifically on games. If this sort of topic interests you you're probably best of looking for general software design and engineering books rather than references which discuss games.

Sorry my answer isn't more specific, but does that help at all? Posted Image

#4 RobMaddison   Members   -  Reputation: 777

2Likes

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Jason Gregory's Game Engine Architecture is, out of my 20 odd game dev books, the only one that has great coverage for this topic - plus it's brilliantly written by a game developer aimed at game developers.

Did I mention it was brilliant...?

#5 Telios   Members   -  Reputation: 398

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Did I mention it was brilliant...?

I agree. It's one of the only game-specific books I always pick through and think "Hmm, that would be useful". It's fairly high-level, but full of good ideas Posted Image

I'd possibly say it's the new McShaffry book ;-)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS