• Create Account

Maximum MipMaps For HeightField Rendering

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hornsj3   Members   -  Reputation: 191

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi,

I am implementing GPU ray-cast terrain in Directx11, rendered based on heightmap data.

In order to make it more efficient I am attempting to implement the algorithm outlined in the following paper. http://www.tevs.eu/project_i3d08.html

My experience with DirectX is limited. I was wondering what the best approach would be to populate the mip levels of the texture pyramid outlined in the paper. Is this something to be done on the CPU side, or the GPU side? Can anyone think of a specific implementation for this?

As far as the paper I linked goes I'm just looking for the way to implement the mip-map data structure.

******************************************************Process Description **********************************************
1. Create a Texture of NxN.
2. Directx generates the mipmap levels.
3. I overwrite the auto generated mip map values with custom values according to the algorithm.
***************************************************************************************************************************

Are these steps best done in a compute shader, rendered as individual render targets per mip level, or on the CPU? An implementation hint would also help.

Thanks,

Josh

Sponsor:

#2 Hornsj3   Members   -  Reputation: 191

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

Maybe I should rephrase this.

I'm wondering what the recommended way to populate mip-map data is.

Do I load an image file as a resource, calculate the subresource data, set the descriptor to generate mip levels, and assign the resource data to the texture object? This is a CPU solution.

Is there a better GPU solution?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS