• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Static linking to BOOST with Mingw?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hi guys,

I'm finally accepting the advantages of BOOST, and I'm trying to welcome these ominous libraries next to my minimalist source code.
I haven't utilized anything from it yet, but i was wondering if any of you have experience with linking to BOOST in a static manner?
I came across http://cc.byexamples.com/2008/08/16/static-linking-compilation-for-boost-c-libraries/ which I intend to follow for sport,
(and because I dislike DLLs a whole lot :) ) - but what are your thoughts on this? I only want to utilize BOOSTs Threads and ASIO,
but I guess I can replace many of my service classes with BOOST versions eventually, in order for me to keep focus on the bigger picture.

I'd gladly like to know of all your general experiences with BOOST, and of course how to start out with it on the top of a small project.

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21160

1Likes

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

First, I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version of MinGW, and seeing what parts of the new C++ standard you have available.
C++11 added alot of new multi-threading capabilities that MinGW might've already implemented (I'm not sure). You'll have to enable the MinGW C++11 WIP implementation with a compiler flag. (First try -std=c++11 and if that doesn't compile, try -std=c++0x)
If you are going to take the time to learn a new library, it might as well be the new standard library wherever possible.

For that which the standard library doesn't cover, I'd then check boost.
Alot of Boost is header-only, with no DLLs. Some parts require DLLs (like boost::filesystem).
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS