• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Rendering geometry in wireframe

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 lukesmith123   Members   -  Reputation: 153

0Likes

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi,

I'm rendering some geometry in directx9 with the DrawIndexedPrimitive function by passing in the number of verts indices etc, using the triangle list primitive.

I want to render the geometry in wireframe using the line list or line strip primitive but I cant figure out how to do this.

I dont know what to put into the prim count paramater.

Could anybody explain how to do this?

thanks,

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8138

1Likes

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Easier to just use SetRenderState (D3DRS_FILLMODE, D3DFILL_WIREFRAME) - that will give you a wireframe representation and you don't need to change any of your geometry, primitive types, etc.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7336

1Likes

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Actually, my experience has been that wireframe fill mode is sometimes dramatically slower, because the driver rewrites the geometry as lines. (This was more an ATI problem way back). Test it. It's okay for debugging, but you may want to create a separate index buffer for wireframe if it is an important part of your rendering.

#4 lukesmith123   Members   -  Reputation: 153

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Oh good idea thanks, its just for debugging so the performance thing isnt a biggie.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS