• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

VAT for in-game currency?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sayid Ahmed   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

In the UK, does your company have to charge VAT on selling in-game currency for an online game? I guess another question would be: is VAT applicable to any online transaction you charge?

Assuming you are already VAT registered and yadaya.

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Katie   Members   -  Reputation: 1371

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Might I suggest asking the VAT helpline?

They're the ones who are likely to know.

#3 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5031

1Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

Unless you can conceivably demonstrate that your game and thus in-game currency passes as a form of "book", "sport", "health" or "stuff for disabled people" (I strongly assume it won't pass as "food"), your government will in general want to see money from you.

On a more serious note, you may (possibly) be able to evade VAT under "betting, gaming, and lotteries" (VAT notice 701/29), but this will open a lot of other problems that you probably want to avoid (minors). Note that subscriptions are not exempt.

If your customers are outside the EU, you may also not be required to charge VAT, but there's some considerable administrational burden with that, which is probably not worth it. It's very likely a lot easier and cheaper to simply have everyone pay VAT.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS