• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Getting into CG shaders

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nanook   Members   -  Reputation: 505

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'm getting into CG shaders.. what editor would you recommend?

Sponsor:

#2 InvalidPointer   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

FX Composer?
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

#3 Nanook   Members   -  Reputation: 505

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

I've looked at FX Composer, but it has support for directx 10 only? Maybe I wont need any higher?

The web page just looks abit outdated so I wasn't sure if It was still being maintained?

#4 InvalidPointer   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Direct3D11 can load and use effects for 10 just fine. Unless you're getting fancy with compute shaders or tessellation you don't even really need to use SM5.

If you are, you can try some prototyping in a pixel shader (though obviously if you want things like shared memory or atomics, those aren't an option since they're exclusive to SM5) or just do it the old-fashioned way with Notepad++ or your favorite plaintext editor of choice.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS