• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Earley Parser

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 laztrezort   Members   -  Reputation: 972

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm trying to implement an Earley parser (in C#), as described here: http://en.wikipedia....i/Earley_parser.

Unfortunately, parser theory is far beyond my comfortable knowledge zone, so I'm wondering if anyone here has done something like this before.

I've managed to put together a working recognizer (which is basically what the linked algorithm describes), and it seems to produce the charts accurately. Where I'm coming up short is how to translate the chart into a parse tree (or forest, since I'll eventually be working with ambiguous grammars).

My searching has revealed mostly thesis papers and such, which are beyond my understanding. If anyone has a good link or other recommendation that would help, please share. Worse case, I suppose I can purchase a book on compiler/parser theory, and start self-teaching, but at the moment this looks rather daunting - I'd also certainly appreciate any book suggestions of the sort that can be considered "accessible".

thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1981

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

The wikipedia article links to two C implementations and three Java implementations. Take a look at all them. Find the one you like the best, compile it, play around with it, make sure it works, etc. And then port it to C#. Anyway, that's probably what I'd do in your situation.

#3 laztrezort   Members   -  Reputation: 972

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Good point, looks like at least one of the Java implementations isn't too much of a mess. Good excuse to learn some Java, anyway.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS