• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

another in need of help (math skills)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 gremlin games   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

hiya dev's i need a bit of help i wish to program games as a hobby and tutorials are easy to find for the language im gonna use (C#) but i cant seem to find a place where i could learn the math needed (starting with pretty much only basic math skills) (i had a rough school life XD )
anyone know where online i could possibly learn it or even books which im willing to buy that have no required math level.

any help would be great!

cheers in advance!!

Sponsor:

#2 dragonalumni   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

hey man, it would really helpful if your post title was "advice on improving math skills", your generic topic title is going to waste a lot of time for people who could otherwise be helpful. as my math isn't that good either all i can say is google search 'math skills required computer programming'.

#3 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

I am not sure how 'basic' your maths skills are, but since you are asking on a gaming forum I would recommend pre calculus

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Precalculus-Mathematics-Calculus-James-Stewart/dp/0495392766/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331559815&sr=1-4 Hmm I am sure theres a error in the price, I cant see why it would be that expensive :/ doesnt really contain anything special but I would recommend that (even though I am not too much of a fan on James Stewart).

Use the internet as a resource when you get stuck and get Microsoft Maths, then study. Learning the maths is only one step, when you learn it is very unlikely you will learn from a 3D game point of view, most real life examples are physics / engineering related, this obviously isnt bad but you will likely need to read a book after that uses maths in graphics, typically shader books help in this area.

As for C#, assuming you want material, I would recommend the following three books, make sure they are the upto date version (.net 4.0)

(Apress) Pro C# - Nice book, Explains some sections nice and easily, enough for you to see its use
(O' Reilly) C# in a nutshell - Simple straight forward, covers the language ans some features really nicely and straight to the point
{Wrox} Professional C# - Covers everything missed in other two books, it is bad to start on this book

#4 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5791

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Kahn Academy

Some time, some patience and the Kahn Academy are all you really need.

#5 gremlin games   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Ok thanks guys. Ill check those books and kahn academy looks interesting. Also another question if i were to start at tafe doing I.T and bridge to university doing game programming would they teach the necessary math skills needed for game programming ? Im an australian if that makes any diffrence? P,s yea sorry about the title i was tired (just downloaded game maker its my new obessesion XD) cheers again guys!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS