• Create Account

a working game editor?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 bollµ   Members   -  Reputation: 354

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi all!
I'm in the process of writing a new game, and I'd (finally) like to build an editor for this one.
For all of my previous projects, I've either (a) Hardcoded or (b) used XML to define the level structure *without* an editor in place. It got to the point where It would take around a week to write a single level. So this time, I've wizened up a little bit and I've decided to write a simple editor, nothing fancy.

I'd like to use XML to represent the levels, so I'd like something along those lines please.
I already have classes for buttons and menus, as well as event handlers and everything else that's (probably) needed to build an editor. But I'm stuck on how to implement it. Should the editor be a "state"? should it be another God entity? how is it designed? How do I let objects write to the XML buffer in an ordered way? How do I load levels?... (I'm sure you guys get the idea)

I've searched, and I haven't found a lot of tutorials that cover this topic. So, how should an editor be designed and implemented?
Thoughts?

~Sddu

a WIP 2d game engine: https://code.google.com/p/modulusengine/

English is not my first language, so do feel free to correct me :)

Sponsor:

#2 DemonRad   Members   -  Reputation: 290

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

I can reply that the most simple solution is a simple plugin based editor. You can write new plugins when needed. I'm successfully writing a little texture editor (mainly color correction problems are solved by this editor) wich is totally plugin based (few KB of executable without plugin). Just take a look at existing plugin systems to see how to design it. This especially works well with XML where each node type can have its own plugin. And also good to for adding GUI elements without having to re-code something existing. ;-)

Peace and love, now I understand really what it means! Guardian Angels exist! Thanks!

#3 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3015

1Likes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

It got to the point where It would take around a week to write a single level. So this time, I've wizened up a little bit and I've decided to write a simple editor, nothing fancy.

Might I suggest to also look in ready to go editors? Are you doing 2D?
Can I suggest to consider either Mappy or GLEED2D?
If you're doing 3D, any chance you can consider some proper DCC tool like Blender?

A lesson I learned the hard way: there's never enough time to proper develop the editor. Let alone a useful, flexible and maintainable plugin system.

#4 bollµ   Members   -  Reputation: 354

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Wow, ty for the glee2d link :) It's perfect :D +rep

a WIP 2d game engine: https://code.google.com/p/modulusengine/

English is not my first language, so do feel free to correct me :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS