• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Language for Web Games?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lxu   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hey there,

I'm new to game development, and I want to know whats the "best" programming language/engine I can use for game development for web.
I see a lot of flash games, but flash is not supported for all devices. May I use Javascript? HTML5? Or I will need to port my game to different languages so it can be executed on several devices?

Ty for any help.

Sponsor:

#2 Xarles   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

It depends on what you want. Flash is the current standard for all major browsers. But of course it doesn't work on the iPad/iPhone and won't work on IE10 (Metro). If that is important to you then you can either build directly for that platform or you can certainly use HTML5+JavaScript. You could port your games, but don't underestimate the work that could turn out to be.

If you are more concerned with iPad/iPhone, then directly might be your best bet. HTML5+JavaScript is widely supported but does have its own disadvantages.

#3 lmbarns   Members   -  Reputation: 460

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

I like html5 for no plugins or Unity 3d if you allow requiring users to install a plugin. But I guess flash is supported by all browsers (that matter) now so hard to consider it as requiring a plugin, though it does.

Unity lets you publish to flash now even lol, in addition to the web browser, pc, mac, mobiles, and consoles. Posted Image I've been using the android build and it's epic, 3d with accelerometer is awesome.

There's dozens of unity made mmo browser games, fusionfall, battlestar galactica, ruined online, etc might check some of them out to see how nice it is in the browser.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS