• Create Account

Need help with unity3d

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Samtech1   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hey...So i just downloaded unity3d and i am totally lost lol. I have watched alot of videos and read some other stuff about how to use the engine and junk but i seem to be retarded or something because i cant figure out how to make my own characters or assets...i am wanting to make a 2d side scrolling mobile game. Advice would be awesome haha so yea...

Sponsor:

#2 RanBlade   Members   -  Reputation: 648

1Likes

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/2d-gameplay-tutorial.html

That link should hopefully help

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

#3 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21434

1Likes

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

i cant figure out how to make my own characters or assets

To create assets you will need to use a modeling tool, such as Maya or 3DStudio. It also takes a moderate amount of skill with texture art and 3D modeling. For a character you also need some skills at model rigging and animating.

To create a basic character model with bones and basic range walking/running/jumping animations, if you were already experienced you could get everything blocked in place with a day or so of actual work --- and that's knowing what you are doing. To move from a blocky model with blocked-in animation over to make a good looking character with a broad range of good looking animations can take several weeks of combined modeling, texturing, and animation work.

The Unity forums have many good lists of free assets and pre-created and pre-animated character models.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#4 steviedisco   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I highly recommend Silo for creating polygonal models. It's not free but it is very cheap compared to some of the heavyweights and I found it a lot easier to understand than Blender.

#5 Samtech1   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Thanx for all the replys huys! but i am trying to make a 2d side scrolling action rpg where can i design/animatte my sprites and such is it worth buying the 2d asset store package?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS