• Create Account

Private Source Control

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 striker87   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows of any free private source control services as only wanting authorized users to be able to access the code and unfortunately can't afford to pay for a private repository.

Sponsor:

#2 zacaj   Members   -  Reputation: 643

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

assembla.com has small free private repositories. What source control system did you want to use?

#3 striker87   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

I just started to mess with Git but have also used SVN before.

#4 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

bitbucket offers free private repos for Git and Mercurial, and were recently bought by Atlassian, which is a pretty awesome company IMO.

#5 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5003

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

If you're using a DVCS (distributed version control system) such as git, mercurial, bazaar, or what have yuo, you need to forget about having a 'server'. You need to grok and embrace DVCS paradigm and not try to shoehorn it back into the previous century with a SVN/CVS/RCS/SCCS approach.

Your best bet is to use git and get yourself some free cloud storage to clone the repo to. That'll be as private as you want, free, and satisfies the offsite storage that a "service" will give you.
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#6 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7116

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Bregma --

What you say is basically true, and I agree that you need to embrace DVCS in full, throwing out old notions; however, many DVCS hosting packages come with some additional niceties: Things like nice web-based management interface, tools like bug trackers, and other value-adds like web-based branch visualization.

If all the OP really wants is a private, off-site backup solution, or something that he can easily access from various machines and networks, then your approach is sufficient, but a purpose-built service probably offers a better package.

#7 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4184

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

I use bitbucket with Mercurial for personal project backup. I like it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS