• Create Account

Just a noob that needs a little help :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robin123   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

OK guys. This is going to sound really stupid to a whole lot of you. I thought I knew how games were made...now I'm not so sure. I know almost nothing about programming (i am only half way through my first java book). I need to know how this all works.

I assumed that in the process of making a game there were two sides: the programming (the stuff that makes it do something) and the graphics/animations (the stuff you see).

Lets say I write a programme that contains a virtual cube. This programme says that when the player takes a certain action (a click or a swipe) the cube rotates. This on its own is useless unless the "player" can see the outcome of his or her actions.

So then I create a graphic that shows up as a cube and, when the player takes the required action, the animation of the cube rotating is shown.

In essence, I thought you create a programme that informs the visuals of a game. Is that how it works?

The reason i am asking this is because i wanted to make a simple numbers game for android. This was my eventual goal and the reason i started learning Java. I am at the point where i know how i would make my word game using Java but i dont know how i could go about making it look pretty like the Osmos game :P

HOW DO YOU TAKE A PROGRAMME AND TURN IT INTO A BEAUTIFUL GAME?

Sponsor:

#2 Zael   Members   -  Reputation: 154

1Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

It sounds to me, like what you are asking how to display graphics on the screen instead of just text?

If so this is normally done via a library or system API. I don't know the libraries to do this with pure Java, but on Android there is an example program that may get you started in the right direction: http://developer.and...nder/index.html

Another example app on Android specifically is: http://developer.and...nake/index.html

If you need a faster frame rate than those will allow I recommend looking into AndEngine. I have used it, and found it to be a pretty good 2d library for Android backed by OpenGL ES.

Hopefully that helps.

P.S. I strongly recommend reading up on the Android Application life cycle before starting an Android game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS