• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Where to start

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brandonnn   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, although I have been reading through a lot of other threads. I am a long time web developer (PHP, CSS, XHTML, JavaScript...etc) so coding is not a new concept to me. I've had 1 Java programming class, although that's been a few years back.

I've bought, and have gotten through about half of Beginning C++ Through Game Programming by Michael Dawson, but all of this is only command line programs.

I understand that in order to use a language you have to know the syntax and blah blah blah... but I've noticed that C++ is ridiculously similar to PHP, so the syntax isn't hard to catch on to. I guess my question is... how do you bridge the gap between text based command line to GUI.

Should I jump right into learning DirectX or should there be a middle step in there somewhere? I intend on starting small and working my way up... (ie starting with something somewhat simpler like tetris)

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6167

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

You could take a look at SFML.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

1Likes

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

That book is VERY basic and I believe it even says this early on that it doesnt cover major areas of C++, its a nice book for starting C++ but in no way covers everything

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

Theres a list of recommend books on C++

My personal recommendations are:

http://www.amazon.com/Ivor-Hortons-Beginning-Visual-Programmer/dp/0470500883/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331985004&sr=1-1

This book is a great place to start, it covers a lot of areas really nicely, I am a fan or Ivor Horton's style and think he is one of the best authors out there, the book doesnt cover everything but its a great place to start, the book also covers C++/CLR however these sections can be missed if you are not interested in .net

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Principles-Practice-Using-C/dp/0321543726/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331983526&sr=1-2

The only issue with this book is the links it suggest are broken, other than that is a great book, a lot of the basics are covered in the previous book but this book does in a nice way explain things in a bit more detail and covers several areas not even mentioned in the book above. Sadly I havent finished this book but from what I have read I would rate it very high

http://www.amazon.com/The-Programming-Language-Special-Edition/dp/0201700735/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331985262&sr=1-1

I have this book waiting to be read, it is highly recommended for learning C++ and I believe in the previous book the author recommends this book in further reading

The above 2 books have been written by the creator of C++ too and I must admit he has a nice way of teaching

As for DirectX, thats a different story and you are best to learn C++ as much as you can before moving on to even an engine, PHP and C++ may have similar syntax but the languages are very much different.

#4 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3726

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

how do you bridge the gap between text based command line to GUI.

If you're half way through your first C++ book, you don't. While the syntax is very similar, the semantics are very different. You should write a bunch of small command line programs to get familiar with the language and dealing with its pile of gotchas.

#5 Brandonnn   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into those books.

#6 Storyyeller   Members   -  Reputation: 212

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

If you want online resources, I personally started with cplusplus.com and the Lazy Foo SDL tutorials. And GameDev.net of course.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.

#7 Brandonnn   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

So far I have been using the tutorials on thenewboston.com and they are pretty good, but he doesn't do a great job of explaining some of the concepts. I'll check out those too.

#8 bd36   Members   -  Reputation: 118

1Likes

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

I am relatively new to C++ GUI/Game programming. It was recommended to me to look into SDL and it has worked great for me. I was able to make a tic tac toe game within a few hours of reading some SDL tutorials, granted I was also not new to programming but I am by no means an expert or anything close. Recently I also made a snake clone with a two player element to further my understand of a game life cycle and classes in c++. To learn more about SDL check out these tutorials http://lazyfoo.net/S...rials/index.php

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS