Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

GMA 3150 rendering problems :-(


Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

  • You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bastich-666   Members   -  Reputation: 103

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi everyone.

I need to get my engine to work on low spec hardware.
As such I have got a Toshiba NB500 netbook from work to use as a target system.
It uses an Intel GMA 3150 so I was expecting to have problems but nothing as strange as what I am getting.
After first degrading my shaders to only use VS2.0 and PS2.0 I fired up my test rig.
All seemed fine which was a surprise.
My GUI console and everything else 2d appears as it should.
However all 3d models etc are all invisible.
Its not that its a black poly on a black background or anything.
DrawIndexedPrimative reports no error codes it just doesn't render anything???
What makes it more strange is that if I change it to use DrawPrimative it does render.
Its not correct mind as I will need to expend my faces/vertices when loading the models in.
Is this the only solution I have can anyone think of a reason for what I am getting???

Please help.

Sponsor:

#2 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1419

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Is your index data 16 or 32 bit? If 32 bit, have you tried 16 bit?

Also, in the DrawIndexedPrimitive call, are your MinVertexIndex and NumVertices correctly set, such that MinVertexIndex is the lowest vertex index referenced by the index data, and NumVertices is highest vertex index - lowest vertex index + 1? (alternatively these can be set to 0 and total number of vertices in the buffer, those values would just be for optimization)

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)


#3 Bastich-666   Members   -  Reputation: 103

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hello thanks for the response.
My indices are 16bit (they were originally 32bit but the GMA only supports 16 so had to swap it over)
Here is a line from my engine where I use DrawIndexedPrimative
device->DrawIndexedPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, 0, num_vertices, 0, num_faces );
On every other system I have tried this on (ATI, NVidia) it works without any modification.
Its all very frustrating :-(

#4 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8285

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Most probably you're using software vertex processing with this part - this is somewhat more fussy about the params to DIP than hardware (which you would be using with NV and ATI, and which largely ignores the range params). I'd recommend that you test with the debug runtimes, which I suspect will tell you that you've got a DIP param out of range. The next step would be to find out which param (my money's on num_vertices) and how it got out of range (double-check how you're calculating this).

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.


#5 Bastich-666   Members   -  Reputation: 103

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

Woohooo!!!
Found and fixed it.
It turned out to be my fault, I had incorrectly converted from 32 to 16bit index buffers.
Now that's sorted it all works, well apart from shadow/environment/normal mapping but that's a different issue.
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.




Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.



PARTNERS