• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

VC# 2010, Edit-and-continue and Win64

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 DvDmanDT   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 933

0Likes

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hi, does anyone here know when edit and continue can be used with Visual C# 2010 on Windows 7 x64? I can't use it with my current projects, but I occasionally stumble upon projects where it work.. I assume it's some project setting, but I can't figure out what it is..? Also, does anyone know why it doesn't work in when it doesn't?

Sponsor:

#2 daviangel   Members   -  Reputation: 600

1Likes

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Doesn't work in some cases and x64 it looks like:
Debugging managed code when the target is a 64-bit application. If you want to use Edit and Continue, you must set the target to x86
Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

#3 DvDmanDT   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 933

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

But my target is x86 and it still doesn't work. It's an XNA windows project. Any ideas?

#4 daviangel   Members   -  Reputation: 600

-1Likes

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

But my target is x86 and it still doesn't work. It's an XNA windows project. Any ideas?

Unsupported scenario since XNA is windows phone programming now.
Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

#5 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4495

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

If his target is x86, he's obviously not targeting phones. XNA still supports PC and 360.

Assuming PC.

Edit and continue has several restrictions:
- x86 only (as stated earlier). I really have no idea why this is true, since it's easier to write automatically relocating code for x64. NOTE: the operating system doesn't matter, just the running process. Running x86 process on x64 OS will allow edit-and-continue.
- Functions that contain closures (anonymous methods, lambda expressions) cannot be modified at runtime.
- Functions that contain yield statements cannot be modified at runtime.
- You cannot add/remove class members at runtime.
- Edit and continue must be enabled in Options -> Debugging -> Edit and Continue
- The program must be suspended (hit a breakpoint, manually paused, or single stepping) before you can edit the code.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS