• Create Account

Release build problems

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 justin12343   Members   -  Reputation: 198

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

I'm having problems with my directx9 renderer where it it doesn't seem to render anything when the runtime option is set to the retail version. But when you set it to the debug version the program runs fine. I've read that uninitialized variables cause this but I didn't find any. There wasn't any errors in the debug output window either. Eventually I downloaded a sample from CodeSampler.com and both directx versions worked fine for each build. So there is something seriously wrong with my code. What else could be causing this?

PS
I ran the program through Pix and all the status of all the objects was "dead", but when I ran it again with the debug version every the looked ok.

Sponsor:

#2 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1959

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Do you have the debug output level set to maximum in the DirectX Control Panel (In Start Menu -> Programs -> DirectX SDK -> Tools)? Do you get any debug output from D3D at all?
I would actually expect things to work with the release runtimes and not with the debug runtimes (Which is what they're for - they're supposed to break).

Does it render anything if you use the reference rasterizer instead (D3DDEVTYPE_REF)? And if so, do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Steve Macpherson
Senior programmer, Firebrand Games

#3 justin12343   Members   -  Reputation: 198

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

I found the bug. It was in fact a uninitialized variable causing this. I commented out some code and not the SetViewport function that was with it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS