• Create Account

I need advice/tutorials on space shooter 'AI' / pathing type stuff.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 BUnzaga   Members   -  Reputation: 267

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

I would like to start work on a space shooter style game, but I am having a bit of a hard time thinking of how to implement the whole 'enemy ai' stuff.

Like... when 6-8 ships fly onto the screen in a line, do a loop, and then fly off, or other similar type things. Is there a good book, or some tutorials on stuff like this? I am talking about games like "Space Mega Force" or 'RType" etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 BeerNutts   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3018

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

I would suggest starting easy. For each enemy define a certain path for them, but make it easy. For these enemies, instead of having them loop, have them just change the angle (ie, add some y velocity), and they start to move diagonally.

If you really want to make them move in a circle, then I would look at adjusting their angle (and, thus, their velocities as well), continuously once they reach a certain point on the screen, until they have gone a full 360 degrees. That would be a loop.
My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

#3 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16414

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Look into steering systems and particularly the Craig Reynolds "Boids" demo. That should get you started. It's fairly easy to generalize from 2D to 3D if your math is decent.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS