• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Targeting for shooting

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 bd36   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hello for my game I have a sprite that rotates to face a target. Currently the sprite rotates and follows the target as it should. However now I am trying to get the sprite to fire a bullet in the direction it is facing. Im fairly certain I have the right idea but am just missing something in the trigonometry.
int targetX, targetY;
		targetX = front.getX();
		targetY = front.getY();
		rotation = atan2((targetY-y),(targetX-x));
		rotation = rotation * (180/3.14159265);
		sprite.setRotation(1*rotation);
		fireRate.update();
		if(fireRate.check2())
		{
			bullets->push_back(Bullet(x,y,bulletSpeed*cos(rotation),bulletSpeed*sin(rotation),100));
		}
I find the angle to rotate by taking the arctan of the differences in x and y between the sprite and the target. I am thinking that once I have this angle I should be able to take the cosine of that same angle and multiple it by the speed to get the x velocity of the bullet and sine for the y. The bullets shoot off at angles sometimes but in all sorts of directions. I think it has to do with the differences in domain between arctan and sine and cosine. So things end up being 180 degree off what they should or something. Any ideas?

Sponsor:

#2 blewisjr   Members   -  Reputation: 622

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

The sine and cosine of your ships angle will give you the vector the bullet needs to travel on aka the hypotenuse of the triangle you multiply the speed to the x and y components to move along the vector. Sorry I can't go into more detail I am at work and posting from my phone.

#3 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13693

1Likes

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

You don't need angles at all. Using vector notation:
diff = target - object;
bullet_velocity = bullet_speed * diff / length(diff)

#4 bd36   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks alvaro that worked great. I just had to multiple the y component by -1 because positive y is down instead up like usual.

#5 BeerNutts   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2985

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

If you want an example, I do this exact thing in my old blog post here:
http://2dgamemaking.blogspot.com/2011/10/bullets-added.html

Look at the SmashPcBullet::SmashPcBullet() constrcutor in the middle of the post, I do this:

[size=3]
[/size]
    cpFloat Angle = pPlayerBody->a;

mpBody->p = pPlayerBody->p;
    mpBody->v.x=cos( Angle)*mBulletDetails.Speed;
    mpBody->v.y=sin( Angle)*mBulletDetails.Speed;

cpBodySetAngle(mpBody,  Angle);
It's using chipmunk physics objects, but it gets the angle the player is facing in radians, then calculates the x and y velocites (v.x and v.y) based on the Angle and Speed of the bullet.
My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS