• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Skeletal animation - vertex/bone weight

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 kumpaka   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi there,

So i've been continuing my pursuit for skeletal animation! Hasn't been a long time since i started, but hard.
I got a little understanding of how the structures work and i think i got that ok, also i spent the last couple of days building the code i needed for quaternions, and altough problems will appear im sure, the tests i ran so far worked well(even slerp).

My problem now is, even if i have all bones loaded and correctly positioned, and all the vertex information and weights also loaded and linked with the bones. How do i use this information, so that when i rotate a bone for example, it will drag with it, the vertex's associated?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 InvalidPointer   Members   -  Reputation: 1439

0Likes

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

I got a little understanding of how the structures work and i think i got that ok, also i spent the last couple of days building the code i needed for quaternions, and altough problems will appear im sure, the tests i ran so far worked well(even slerp)

Don't use slerp.

Re: your actual question-- assuming you're doing hardware skinning, you just need to get the bone matrices/orientation data into the shader somehow, (as mentioned, 4x4 matrices are probably the most straightforward way, but they eat a *lot* of shader constant memory, consider quaternions + translation and uniform scale if this is a problem) transform the point by the bone matrix individually for each bone influence, then do a weighted average of each transformed point using the bone influence weight value you mention. Not too hard :)
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS