• Create Account

Linking error? Unesolved external symbols

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Akashi   Members   -  Reputation: 268

2Likes

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

I put together a program from my book with syntactically identical code, and it's giving me issues that imply I don't have a certain library linked or something? At least, this is what the other thread I saw told me. But I have everything linked correctly, I believe? So I need some help, because it's not compiling my other DirectX programs either anymore for some reason.

I'll organize this post so this thread isn't cluttered and unattractive. I know some topics get dropped just because people don't format their code in a way that's easy to look through.

Also, I am using a 32-bit Windows 7 machine. These are my specs. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 as my IDE.

The problem:
Spoiler

Steps I took to solve it:
Spoiler

My code:
Spoiler

I hope you guys can help me with this problem! I honestly can't really advance much without solving this first.
Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6990

2Likes

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

First, +1 for the nice post and showing the problem, what you did to try to fix it, and your code. So good to see.

Anyway, this may or may not solve your problem, but you said you have a 32-bit Windows 7 machine, but you're trying to use the 64-bit libraries (in the x64 folder). The libs in the x86 folder are for 32-bit machines like yours. Try changing your lib directory from the x64 folder to the x86 folder.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#3 Akashi   Members   -  Reputation: 268

0Likes

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Oh. I thought the x64 was for the 32-bit machines, lol. And yeah, I was really fed up with vague questions with vaguer answers in my Google results, so I'd rather keep my problem nice and clear so there isn't a back-and-forth of "did you do this?" "yes" I want my problem solved as soon as possible, and clear, concise explanations are the best way to get that.

The program works now! Thanks for throwing my hours of trouble out the window.

#4 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6990

1Likes

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

Good to hear! And always remember, x86 = 32-bit and x86_64 (or x64) = 64-bit :)
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS