• Create Account

Current best open source 3D rendering engine?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1286

0Likes

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

What would you recommend as the current best choice for an open source 3D rendering engine (need not be a full game engine) with a "modern" mindset ie. is shader-based, and uses rendering APIs in a non-deprecated way?

IMHO all of the usual, well-known candidates have fallen behind one way or another, for example OGRE by not being terribly CPU or GPU effective and in need of a general cleanup; the current active developers themselves point this out: http://www.ogre3d.or...30250&start=154, or Crystal Space & OpenSceneGraph by always having been cumbersome and/or unfriendly to begin with.

I'm not really looking for a solution for myself, but just want to encourage discussion if there is some excellent library/engine out there we are not generally aware of?

(for what it's worth, I personally use OGRE & Unity (which of course isn't open source) at work, and then I have my own hobby engine which is D3D9/OpenGL 2.0 and MIT licensed -- link is in my profile -- but it's as of yet unproven for any larger applications, and lacks features, such as terrain rendering)

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)

Sponsor:

#2 stormwarestudios   Members   -  Reputation: 215

0Likes

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Last time I touched Ogre (2-3 years ago) it possessed very competent terrain rendering capabilities. If anything, it's engineered quite brilliantly; I'm sure with minor investigation to see its current state, I would recommend it again.

#3 spooderw   Members   -  Reputation: 123

0Likes

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

I've heard very good things about Ogre. It's mentioned in a few books I've read and I believe Naughty Dog uses it...never touched it myself.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS