• Create Account

Pokemon Clones?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 AceK7   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Are there Any Pokemon clones? Like a remake of fire red or leaf green or whatever? Would be pretty cool to play an updated version or one thats just like it but with differant story line and maybe not pokemon. Probably would be great for a beginner project so i hope im giving people ideas.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17272

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

It would be a violation of Nintendo's intellectual property rights, for which they would issue you with a cease & desist notice and/or take you to court. Don't do this without explicit permission from Nintendo (which you're extremely unlikely to get).

You can however try making a non-Pokemon game where you collect and battle with monsters.

#3 AceK7   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Very true that thought has come to mind as i was posting the first post.

#4 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3008

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

There was an article on Gamasutra around 2 months ago about a Pokemon clone game for mobile cellphones. Can't remember the name.

#5 Koobazaur   Members   -  Reputation: 687

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

There's many pokemon clones, both professional (monster hunter series) and indie (tons of free flash games). And pokemon comes out with new versions every year or two; the monster-raising-fighting really is a genre in and of itself nowadays.

Postmortem: one must die -  Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

#6 mdwh   Members   -  Reputation: 825

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

It would be a violation of Nintendo's intellectual property rights

It's hard to make assumptions on what the OP said.

Consider the term "Doom clone" has often been used, but this doesn't necessarily mean (and usually doesn't) a clone that is an exact copy, using trademark names, or otherwise infringing on IP. "Clone" in gaming is often used in a broader meaning that meaning a literal copy - often being a shorthand way of referring to a genre, which I would hope in general aren't the property of private companies. The OP would need to elaborate on what he is after. (Admittedly, "remake" often does have stronger implications of being a direct copy, but it's better to clarify, especially as the OP talked about original storylines.)
http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.harman/conquests.html - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

#7 Blind Radish   Members   -  Reputation: 355

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

I think it's like... You can catch monsters, but not pocket monsters, and maybe you get away with catching them in "Spheres", maybe you don't. You probably can't have any electric mice, but an electric opossum might fly. You can have elemental dinosaurs and even a water turtle, but probably no squirrel-turtles. Maybe you get away with one of the above, but I wouldn't try two unless you're doing satire. I think satire is fair game but you can't clone the game like that.

But who wants to copy, anyway?

Speaking of spheres, check out Sphere Engine for making pokemon games. Never tried it, but it's something to look at.
Personally, I'd just hack myself a copy of PKMN: Emerald with that one tool for editing the game files.

#8 AceK7   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

editing the game files? that sounds kinda cool.

#9 Blind Radish   Members   -  Reputation: 355

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Okay, here's a list of some hacks (scroll down a bit):
http://pokemongamehacker.wetpaint.com/page/Pokemon+Hacks+and+Games
Probably not terribly good but gives you an idea of what you might do.

Basically you use a lot of different software to hack away, like AdvanceMap or others.
http://ampage.no-ip.info/

Here's a good website:
http://wahackpokemon.com/en

Here's one in SPANISH:
http://frentebatalla.com/#

Here's that website above, with a page listing some of the tech.
http://pokemongamehacker.wetpaint.com/page/Hacking+Tools+for+Pokemon+Games
It's likely outdated, use it only as reference is my advice.

It's a lot of hard work but it's the fastest and friendliest way to get going on a high quality pokemon game.
If you like the mechanics but long for a new map, I recommend this highly. It's fun.

Good luck and happy hacking!

#10 J03_b   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

I've always liked the idea of a pokemon mmo. Pretty much anything could be 10x better if you slap mmo on it

Granted they would have to change the game around a lot in order for it to work.

Another idea that I think would be amazing is if the game was a phone app that used google maps as the in game map. Businesses could be pokemon centers, poke'marts, gyms, etc. There are so many possibilities in that area

#11 Blind Radish   Members   -  Reputation: 355

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Another idea that I think would be amazing is if the game was a phone app that used google maps as the in game map. Businesses could be pokemon centers, poke'marts, gyms, etc. There are so many possibilities in that area

Dude YES.

#12 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 486

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Pretty much anything could be 10x better if you slap mmo on it

Pretty much anything could just as easily be 10x worse if you slap mmo on it.

#13 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4582

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'd find it fun and relatively easy to design a pet monster game, single player or mmo, with arguably better gameplay than at least the first gen games. But the problem is that as soon as you strip the pokemon name off and use original monsters people don't seem interested. I can kinda see why - the idea of turning (what was it, 8? 10? 12?) and being given your first pokemon friend to go journey around the world with is a strong fantasy, that people have a lot of loyalty for. But that's a clear part of the IP, you more or less have to change it around to be unrecognizable.

As far as designing a pet game in general, I think the big question one has to answer as a designer is what are the pets for? Are they for combat? Do they become units for an RTS or tower defense game, or workers for a worker placement game mechanic that feeds back in to the player's ability to capture/produce more pets? Are they sold for money in a tycoon mechanic? Are they for collecting? (Many, many pet games fail to take advantage of the urge of players to collect one of each pet; some games don't provide enough storage space to make this possible, others just don't acknowledge it as a gameplay goal or allocate a reward for completing this overall goal or the substeps of it, and I think there's no easier way to frustrate the average fan of pokemon-like games.)
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me.

#14 J03_b   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

On a side note, this thread reminded me that the pokemon yellow was probably the game that first got me interested in game design on a basic level. I remember I used to try to make my own pokemon cards lol I had so much motivation and time on my hands back then. If only I had the knowledge back then that I do now...

I know exactly what you mean about non-pokemon monster games though. I don't know why but I could probably never get into a different pokemon type game, even if it were as good a game. But also, I lost all interest in pokemon after the second generation for whatever reason. It was probably part of a stage when it wasn't "cool" to be into it

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS