• Create Account

c++ making game engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 overlord1412   Members   -  Reputation: 99

0Likes

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hi, i am 15 year ols and i wanted to desing game. I am just interested where do i start what do i have to code??? i just have no idea i learned some basics about c++ languge but idk where to start.

Sponsor:

#2 bglanzer   Members   -  Reputation: 449

0Likes

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Making a game and making an engine are two completely different things. I wouldn’t recommend developing an engine for some one who knows some basics about c++. First I would start here. As you learn more about the c++ syntax and code structure begin making games utilizing the console. Start with games such as minesweeper, checkers, maze navigator. Ensure to use new techniques that you've learned to ensure that you fully understand how they work. After you have a good understanding of pointers, memory management, classes and inheritance, templates, and file io I would move on to working with OpenGL. Its a lot easier, in my opinion, to get started with. Create some games using just simple blocks, spheres, and triangles. I would recommend games such as 3d pong, tetris, and even some 2d games once you understand loading bitmaps. Through working in opengl you should be able to find yourself making games. Remember though its not a race, ensure you fully understand everything or else you will find yourself confused very quickly and just copying code that you find on the internet. Good luck.

Brendon Glanzer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS