• Create Account

How much should I charge per animation?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zido_Z   Members   -  Reputation: 356

0Likes

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm currently in the indie game business, and I was wondering what would be a fair price to charge per 2d animation to the games I work on? Assume that I have competence in sprites, vector graphics, and making smooth animations. What prices should I give, to keep myself from selling short but at the same time, keeping respect to the budget of the project?

Sponsor:

#2 microcake   Members   -  Reputation: 103

1Likes

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

You can always use a Freelance formula.

http://www.sitepoint.com/freelance-pricing-1-set-rate/

I have a book on how to establish and run your own independent freelancing gig, and they highly suggest using a formula (similar to the one on that site I just linked you to) in order to figure out how much you should be charging.

#3 heavycat   Members   -  Reputation: 383

-1Likes

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Take what you think is a reasonable rate and triple it. Then take what you think is a reasonable amount of time and double it.

Posted Image

#4 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6701

0Likes

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

I'm currently in the indie game business, and I was wondering what would be a fair price to charge per 2d animation to the games I work on? Assume that I have competence in sprites, vector graphics, and making smooth animations. What prices should I give, to keep myself from selling short but at the same time, keeping respect to the budget of the project?

There're many factors to be considered:
- How large is your portfolio ?
- How many (heavy weight) reference projects do you have ?
- What is your level of qualtity ?
- What is your level of awareness ?

Selling a service is just business like every other business. It depends heavily on demand and supply. In business it is often necessary to sell yourself undervalue to get a foot in the door, i.e. to build a portfolio, to get more experiences or to get into the industry at all.

Many artists often create a more or less large portfolio to display there skills, when you don't have lot of references or a portfolio and nobody knows you, it is necessary to create your own first (=no cash).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS