• Create Account

Weekend Community Challenge - Let Loose the Kraken! - Contest Underway!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
143 replies to this topic

#101 KanonBaum   Members   -  Reputation: 277

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Okay. My release mode is not working. :( But the game's done. Will a video suffice since it works in debug? ^_^
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.

Sponsor:

#102 irreversible   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1201

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

Anyways - Moe, your game crashes on my laptop (no error)! GF 240M, dualcore Intel, 4GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

Hmm, strange. Was it an all-out crash or did it just immediately quit?

As zer0wolf noted I don't have the XNA runtime installed so that's probably the reason. Anyway, it would have been nice to get an error message of some sort. Right now it just throws up the crash report/close dialog on start.

#103 KanonBaum   Members   -  Reputation: 277

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

Well, here's a link to the video of me playing one of the levels.

I have no idea why release mode crashes. Wish I could have submitted something people could play instead of watching.

Gag: Re-Lease the Kraken. The Kraken's newest-favorite sportscar was on sale, but he needed to get another lease since his old one (that materialistic bastard). However, the Kraken's credit score is bad (and he should feel bad). The player, the car, must drive far away from the Kraken or until you make the amount of money he'd need to buy the new car.

Since I didn't have enough time, the money concept is kind of just "there" in the game. It became pointless without implementation (was originally going to be one of the main concepts of the levels: have enough money AND survive). But that was the idea.

Edited by KanonBaum, 28 May 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#104 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 811

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

Damn I wish I saw this thread before today, I would've loved to participate again; I loved the last contest.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

#105 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1248

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Anyways - Moe, your game crashes on my laptop (no error)! GF 240M, dualcore Intel, 4GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

Hmm, strange. Was it an all-out crash or did it just immediately quit?

As zer0wolf noted I don't have the XNA runtime installed so that's probably the reason. Anyway, it would have been nice to get an error message of some sort. Right now it just throws up the crash report/close dialog on start.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how much I can handle such a case, as it's probably something getting tossed from the bowels of XNA. I'll have to look into that though.

#106 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hey guys, I just wrote a little blog post about participating in the competition. Mostly though, I just want to show you two things:

Making my game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-YeUQ6_TA

"Playing" my game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JPbwCjV_TM

I had a ton of fun. Thanks zer0wolf for organizing this! Good luck to all those who finished!

Edited by Cornstalks, 28 May 2012 - 04:24 PM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#107 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

blah

are you going to do anything else with this? It looks like an interesting concept.

#108 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

blah

are you going to do anything else with this? It looks like an interesting concept.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm seriously contemplating it. I've had a few really good ideas (at least I think they're good ideas) for extending this game into an Android/iOS game. I recently just started a new Android game, but I haven't gotten past the "Hello world" stage so it's not too late to change ideas... I will be contemplating this...
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#109 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Alrighty everyone, I'll work on getting my reviews up within the next 48 hours for all the submissions. Anyone who didn't compete can also judge. I know that Alnite and Cornstalks have volunteered to judge.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#110 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Ok everyone, my judging is close to being finished. I'll post my results Tuesday or Wednesday evening, just to make sure I haven't missed anyone before I post them. So far I've played and judged games from:
  • Moe
  • szecs
  • ryan20fun
  • Madhed

I've also got a little feedback for japro, KanonBaum, and cowsarenotevil, though they didn't make playable games.

Is there anyone I happened to miss?

Overall, I have to say well done to everyone! There were some pretty clever creations, and I had fun playing them!

#111 KanonBaum   Members   -  Reputation: 277

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Although I didn't officially get judged, I will appreciate the feedback Cornstalks! It's a shame I had library issues. :(

I -would- like to reiterate we should have another competition in a few weeks and have a longer deadline perhaps? Like a whole week?

Great job guys!

#112 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2093

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Only Mahmed's game run as it was on my machine. I will download all the necessary stuff today and try al the games.

#113 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1248

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

I wrote up a little post-mortem: http://joelbennett.w...ack-postmortem/

Edited by Moe, 28 May 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#114 KanonBaum   Members   -  Reputation: 277

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Found the release problem and fixed it. But I'm more than likely too late. Anywhere, here's the game from the video. No modifications to it to prove that this is what I had before the bug. (Mac OSX only atm)

However, I do plan on fully implementing all the other futures and I'll release it on the forum under Announcements.

Edited by KanonBaum, 29 May 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#115 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2093

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

I also made a blog post about it

#116 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2492

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Really had a blast doing this! I will definetely consider joining next time. I also made a blog post about my experience http://www.gamedev.net/blog/899/entry-2254675-tentacle-madness11eleven/.

Cheers guys

#117 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 434

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

I plan on playing through everything and posting the reviews tonight.

#118 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2043

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

I just got back from a mini vacation. Sorry that I haven't been able to follow this thread in the past 2-3 days.

From what I can gather in this thread, I have downloadables from the following contestants:
  • japro
  • KanonBaum
  • Madhed
  • Moe
  • ryan20fun
  • szecs
Please let me know if I missed your name. I'll play all these awesome games tonight, and provide my feedback Thursday night PST.

#119 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Found the release problem and fixed it. But I'm more than likely too late. Anywhere, here's the game from the video. No modifications to it to prove that this is what I had before the bug. (Mac OSX only atm)

what was the problem out of curiosity?

#120 KanonBaum   Members   -  Reputation: 277

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

what was the problem out of curiosity?

It was a mix of a few things that didn't have much to do with the library actually. I've been using a new map editor that saves the tileset you use exactly where it is on the machine from the root drive. I had been using it and thinking it was local. That's just the first part. The second was that I'm still in no way used to Xcode 4 for the mac (I liked Xcode 3's layout. Made more sense I thought.) I wanted to bundle the media for the game in the application itself this time around and finally found out how to do that via Xcode. With this solution and the previous problem, I discovered that the map file wasn't pointing to the tileset in the app as already state. (This whole process led me to think that it was something to do with the library's graphics loading). The third part was that the location of the release build was placed wrong (probably by me in a rush).

As a solution, I truncated the file path when the map got parsed and loaded it via resource prefix (points inside the app). So everything got fixed.

Edited by KanonBaum, 30 May 2012 - 08:51 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS