• Create Account

Eular angle question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wilhelm van Huyssteen   Members   -  Reputation: 828

0Likes

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi.

I have a very specific problem. Explaining exactly what Im doing is most likely redundent so Im just going to try and explain what I need as best as possible using a simple example.

Im applying a eular angle to a vector in 3D space by first rotating the vector around the x-axes, then y, then z.
Its a givin that for this particular eular angle the same end result can be achived by only rotating around the z axis by a certian amount. For this givin Eualr angle how would I calculate the neccesary rotation around the Z axis.

Thnx in Advance!

Sponsor:

#2 RunsWithScissors   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

I could be wrong but it seems like what you are looking for is a quaternion. You can't represent any rotated vector by only rotating it around the Z-Axis. A quaternion is simply a vector in space that can represent your rotation and then an amount of rotation around that axis. But constraining the rotation to only rotating around the Z-Axis will limit your degrees of freedom. Hopefully this is what you were trying to explain. If not, correct me and hopefully I can help.

#3 Wilhelm van Huyssteen   Members   -  Reputation: 828

0Likes

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Yes rotating around only 1 axis will limit the degrees of freedom but thats fine. As i tried to explain the input eular angle will always fall within the allowed range as a givin. Heres some actual numbers

rotating a point in 3D space with eular angle

x: 180
y: 180
z: 50

in the order of x,y and then z will have the same effect on the point as just rotating around the z-axis by 130 degrees

so i want to know how i can get from

x: 180
y: 180
z: 50

to

x: 0
y: 0
z: 130

#4 haegarr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3261

1Likes

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

When using column vector notation, the Euler rotation is formulated as
Rz * Ry * Rx =: RE
which you want to equal a single z axis rotation, so that
RE = Rz'

This implies 9 equations for a single variable (namely the argument angle to Rz'), what obviously can be solved in special situations only. When such a situation is actually given, then you have 4 equations like
cos( z' ) = a
cos( z' ) = b
sin( z' ) = c
-sin( z' ) = d
where the numerical values of a and b as well as those of c and -d are obviously the same; further a and c need to differ in a phase shift of 90 degree.

When you use the arccos or arcsin function for solving, then you get a result that covers a half circle only. So you need to take 2 of the above functions into account. One way to do this is to choose e.g.
tan( z' ) = sin( z' ) / cos( z' ) = a / c
and hence
z' = arctan( a / c )
in principle. However, this formula still has problems, because it (1.) is vulnerable against c==0 and (2.) only 2 of the 4 quadrants can be identified (i.e. the same problem as those above).

Fortunately, most programming languages provide a variant of arctan that internally deals with this problem. This function is usually named atan2. So try
z' = atan2( c, a )
where a and c are picked from the combined Euler rotation matrix.

FYI: The above does something like looking at the problem in the 2D space given by the x/y plane. It sees a vector (a c)t and computes the angle that is between the principal x axis and the vector. You can find several discussions of this in this forum if you search for e.g. "atan2".

#5 Wilhelm van Huyssteen   Members   -  Reputation: 828

0Likes

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Thnx! i got it working.

#6 Lauris Kaplinski   Members   -  Reputation: 841

0Likes

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

I once wrote some examples about generic Euler angle conversions:

http://khayyam.kapli...-matrix-to.html
http://khayyam.kapli...ler-angles.html

These allow you:
  • Convert rotation matrix to arbitrarily ordered Euler angles (useful for animations)
  • Pick the smallest set of angles from alternate rotation variants (that is what you needed)
  • Pick the set of angles from alternate rotation variants that is closest to some previous set (useful for animations)
  • Should be gimbal-lock safe

Lauris Kaplinski

First technology demo of my game Shinya is out: http://lauris.kaplinski.com/shinya
Khayyam 3D - a freeware poser and scene builder application: http://khayyam.kaplinski.com/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS