• Create Account

Tiles with light blue showing white on Laptop

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Black-Rook   Members   -  Reputation: 1563

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

I've found a problem with colors on my laptop... For whatever reason when loading my map editor, I find the snow and ice tiles 'blank', or simply just white.

Posted Image

Is there a reason this is occurring on my laptop? My iPhone and Desktop Computer show the two tiles perfectly.

They should like look this picture:

Posted Image

You can't even see light blue or anything, it's just white. Yet all the other tiles, and objects look fine.
GameDev Journal: http://www.gamedev.n...-rooks-journal/

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Classic RPG #1 - Task 9 -> January 1st 2013

Sponsor:

#2 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8146

1Likes

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

On my desktop LCD monitor, I can barely see the blue in your second picture. I have to stand up from my chair to do it, so that I kind of look down on the monitor from above. Probably just a weakness of certain LCD monitors. Maybe try upping the contrast just a little bit, so that the blue isn't so close to white?

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 27064

1Likes

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Many cheap LCD's don't actually support 24-bit colour and convert the input signal to something lesser, like 18-bit colour (64 colours per channel / 262144 colours total, instead of 256 colours per channel / 16 million colours total). I'm guessing your laptop has a cheap-and-nasty monitor, so light-blue is being quantized/"rounded-up" to white.

#4 Black-Rook   Members   -  Reputation: 1563

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to adjust my color pallet... Man this isn't going to be fun. I use a top of the line monitor, and even my iPhone displays the images correctly.

Since it's for a classic game, I could just put the pallet to High color (15/16-bit). This should fix the issue for older monitors.

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

#5 Black-Rook   Members   -  Reputation: 1563

0Likes

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

I did a ton of tests and cannot get a better way of using colors that will work on all monitors... I saved the pictures to 16bit, which didn't look much different on my monitors. I looked on the laptop again, it's displaying 32 true color, and if I open the screen more wide it shows the blue. I'm guessing the only thing I could do is just use color pallets for 16 bit to be sure, but again the color at 16 bit isn't showing anything different regardless of conversion, other than darker grass...

What can I do...?

Old Temp Tile Sheet:

Posted Image

New Temp Tile Sheet:
Posted Image

New one works fine on the laptop.

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS