• Create Account

Blending Water and Fog Effect

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nikko_Bertoa   Members   -  Reputation: 407

1Likes

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hi GameDev community.

I want to show a blending water effect and fog effect that I implemented using DX10 and C++

https://sites.google.com/site/nicolasbertoa/blending-water-and-fog-effect

Thanks !

Sponsor:

#2 HNikolas   Members   -  Reputation: 192

0Likes

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

The water definitely has some character, but make it calmer and it will be more appealing.
Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery and everything else web.. now also trying my hand on games.

#3 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2286

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

Hi,

The water should be more than just a transparent plane on top of the terrain ie. deeper the water is, less light is able to reach the terrain surface.

Best regards!

#4 Nikko_Bertoa   Members   -  Reputation: 407

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

@HNicolas: Maybe you are right, it must be quieter.

@Kauna: Thanks for your suggestion. Currently the water texture has an alpha based on the algorithm to generate the terrain, the problem is that I increase and decrease the water, and the alpha channel do not change, because is the same texture obviously, and maybe that is the problem here, in some cases the user cannot appreciate the different color according to terrain deep.

#5 HNikolas   Members   -  Reputation: 192

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

I like the non-blended water version a lot more. Has huge retro effect. Posted Image
I agree with Kauna too, the water looks like drinkable tap-water with this transparency.
Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery and everything else web.. now also trying my hand on games.

#6 Nikko_Bertoa   Members   -  Reputation: 407

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

@HNikolas:

I like the non-blended water version a lot more. Has huge retro effect.

Yeah! That's true :)

I agree with Kauna too, the water looks like drinkable tap-water with this transparency.

I will try with different textures.

Thanks!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS