• Create Account

How to dump debug data when running a program on a machine without VC++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 maxest   Members   -  Reputation: 294

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

First off, I guess the title of the topic can sound a bit enigmatic and I probably have not called it right. Anyway, the problem is that I remember I read somewhere about nice tool that is in Windows I think. The point was that I could give my program to someone, this person then runs my program and when it crushes, that person could use some Windows program for making a dump file that would contain all debugging data. That person could then send me that file back and I could recreate exactly where the program crushed on the computer of that person. I think there was even a nice youtube video showing the whole process. Could anyone point what I am looking for? :)

Sponsor:

#2 mrbastard   Members   -  Reputation: 1573

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

In recent versions of windows, you can just right click on a process in Task Manager and select "Create Dump File", if that's any help?

#3 maxest   Members   -  Reputation: 294

1Likes

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Yes, that's it! :)
I also found it here: http://kb.acronis.com/content/6265
Info on how to use VC++ to investigate a dump is here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fk551230.aspx but it's a horrible shame it doesn't work with Express version :/
Anyway, thanks mrbastard

#4 mrbastard   Members   -  Reputation: 1573

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

np Posted Image

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS