• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Why is there no Ultima Online 2?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Emergence   Members   -  Reputation: 121

1Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

It's not like it would be a difficult task to accomplish, this game was actually quite simple :(

Oh well, back to work on my game.

Posted Image

Sponsor:

#2 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3420

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/13/garriott-talking-with-ea-about-ultima-online-2/

I believe your answer is as simple as this: the gatekeeper to such a thing happening is EA.

#3 Emergence   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

http://www.joystiq.c...ltima-online-2/

I believe your answer is as simple as this: the gatekeeper to such a thing happening is EA.

Thanks for the link! I love that site, and interesting article! :)

#4 glhf   Banned   -  Reputation: -585

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

It's not like it would be a difficult task to accomplish, this game was actually quite simple Posted Image

Oh well, back to work on my game.

Posted Image

Well, do you mean really ultima online 2 or just a game that is very similar?
Because if you mean UO2 then its because the owners of that franchise do not have the correct mindset for it.

and if you're talking about a game that wants to be similar... DFO and MO tried to be similar except not isometric view.
And how similar do you want it exactly? Do you want it to be the exactly the same combat system and mechanics?

#5 GeneralQuery   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1263

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

http://www.joystiq.c...ltima-online-2/

Garriott talking with EA about Ultima Online 2

*fist pumps joyfully*

[update: apparently not]

*waves fist angrily*

#6 Emergence   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

IMO a 3D version wouldn't be a "Ultima Online 2" even if it was with the Ultima brand and everything.

I love that 2.5D perspective and those paperdolls. That's one of the reasons I love my style of graphics for games (2.5D)

#7 glhf   Banned   -  Reputation: -585

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

IMO a 3D version wouldn't be a "Ultima Online 2" even if it was with the Ultima brand and everything.

I love that 2.5D perspective and those paperdolls. That's one of the reasons I love my style of graphics for games (2.5D)

THen you would love the game called Link Realms.. It's soooo similar in graphics and interface etc to UO but in gameplay it's nothing at all like it.

#8 lmbarns   Members   -  Reputation: 460

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

[e yea

My favorite game of all time......

IDOCs, Bods, full loot, tons of pvp, tbh even that old 2.5D gets my adrenaline going (during fights) just as much as any 3d pvp games I've played (like Darkfall).

#9 Emergence   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

What do you think of my game's screenshot?

I know Corp Por was the electric spell, not a fireball or explosion, lol, but I forgot what the explosion words were :P

#10 glhf   Banned   -  Reputation: -585

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

screenshot dont say anything about how good a game is

#11 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6322

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

What do you think of my game's screenshot?

I know Corp Por was the electric spell, not a fireball or explosion, lol, but I forgot what the explosion words were Posted Image

Vas Flam = fireball
Vas Ort Flam = Explosion

Just remember that Ultima Online is owned by EA and they probably don't take kindly to people infringing on their IP. (Not sure if spells are covered but the Ultima name most definitly is a trademark)
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#12 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3420

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test. The term fair use originated in the United States. A similar principle, fair dealing, exists in some other common law jurisdictions. Civil law jurisdictions have other limitations and exceptions to copyright.

Use in forums is fine. As for the use of the spell name ingame in the screenshot

wiki shows:

The game also used runic script in some places and a special language for spell names, for both of which the necessary translation tables / explanations were provided in the booklet. These can be seen as subtle copy-protection measures, well fitted for the context of history and fantasy so that a casual player didn't take them for copy protection.

so copyright most definitely applies.

Given that this is not a released work as yet copyright in terms of personal use is less applicable, however as you pointed out posting it on a forum can raise an issue but this can be overcome by simply amending your above post with the graphic attributing copyright of the spell name to EA etc etc

Edit: 1 last and important point - don't release your game using this unless you have obtained the appropriate permissions - you would better of changing your spell name(s) at this time rather than missing it when you get into Alpha releases etc.

Edit: Looking at the graphic: If you have simply added the language in over the top of the picture before posting it here - then that would probably fall under fair use doctrine.

#13 Emergence   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

screenshot dont say anything about how good a game is

lol... thanks for sharing your pointless opinion.

The sky is also blue, drinking water is required to live, and a book isn't good just because it's made out of paper.

#14 ImpossibleDream   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Have you tried LinkRealms? It's based on UO. http://www.linkrealms.com/

#15 ManuelMarino   Members   -  Reputation: 153

0Likes

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

seems very similar to UO

anyway, I played UO for years, being in guilds, etc etc . I just think that they will not work on UO2 until UO will just work well with its audience of fans.

there are many expansions, many dungeons, and many players. they can continue with UO until players will come.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS