• Create Account

Shaders and Constant Buffer behavior?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 trick   Members   -  Reputation: 139

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

When setting constant buffers to a shader, does DirectX assignn it to the specific shader that is currently loaded, and remember it is for that shader? Or does it keep the same buffer applied through shader changes, and the buffer must be changed as well?

As an example, say I have two different vertex shaders, and each has it's own constant buffer, like the simplified snippet below.

ID3D11Device* Device;
ID3D11DeviceContext* DevCon;
ID3D11VertexShader* Shader1;
ID3D11VertexShader* Shader2;
ID3D11Buffer* CBuff1;
ID3D11Buffer* CBuff2;
//initialization code

//Render Routine
DevCon->VSSetShader(Shader1, NULL, 0);
DevCon->VSSetConstantBuffers(0, 1, CBuff1);
	 //Draw stuff with shader1
DevCon->VSSetShader(Shader2, NULL, 0);
DevCon->VSSetConstantBuffers(0, 1, CBuff2);
	 //Draw stuff with shader2

Now, if I then swap back to Shader1...
DevCon->VSSetShader(Shader1, NULL, 0);
Does DirectX remember to use CBuff1, or do I need to reset it as well?

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7978

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

It'll keep the currently set cbuffer until you change it yourself.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 Hornsj3   Members   -  Reputation: 191

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

To expand the answer above, I believe it works this way: (I'm 4 months into DirectX, so take this for what it is worth).

There are a number of constant buffer registers, to which you can bind constant buffers. These registers need to be bound for each shader stage explicitly.

What this means is that you bind the constant buffers to the shader stages, not the particular shader. You can bind one shader to the pixel stage, bind the constant buffer to a constant buffer register, draw, and then bind another shader to the pixel shader. If you don't explicitly change what is bound to a constant buffer register, it will remain bound.

I hope that is clear.

#4 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2826

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Any renderstates stay set untill you explicitly set a new one. The fastest instruction is always the one you don't have to execute, and thats exactly how the DX runtime operates
Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS