two friends (Bergmann and Akaikee) and I had a idea 6 months ago. The idea was to create a multiplayer clone of the wonderful game X. So we started to plan and the idea changed to a real project.
And this project I would like to present you now:
Massive Universe Online (MUO)
The Plan is to create a multiplayer game witch includes the main aspects of X, but also added a lot of own ideas and mainly include a exciting community aspect to the game.
Here you can see our old Mindmap (wich is not that exact, but gives a nice overview) and a overview about the economic system
The project is spit into 4 parts:
- Implementing an editor for game content modeling (like items, ships, sations and sectors)
- Implementing the Client sided game logic
- Implementing the Server sided game logic
- Implementing the graphics system
- Required Software
We were have take care only to use freeware programs, so that everyone can come into this project.
- Developing with FPC/Lazarus (32bit and 64bit)
- xMind for the mind maps
- The models can be create with any editor which can export to .obj-files. We recommend Blender.
- As a version tool, we use git and on the client side Smartgit as GUI
At the moment, we have no exact idea witch license-model we like to use. Mainly the game will be Freeware but we also like to add a kind of a premium-system in order to get the Server-costs back.
- Expected time of project
We like to release the alpha-version in summer 2013 with the basic functions included. The alpha will run on a public test server. The beta (with all planed functions) will be released in the end of 2013.
The final release is planed for summer 2014. This is not that much time, but with enouth motivation and enthusiasm we can do it!
- Tasks and needed skills
At the moment, we are 3 programmers (Bergmann, Martok and me). The 4th Member (Akaikee) doing all our graphic- and model-stuff. The Blog, Wiki and Hosting is my personal task.
So we need (mainly) 4-5 peole wich like to create the graphic stuff, because this is the most time intensive task we have at the moment. This is way to much work for one person.
We are also happy if someone would like to help us only with a few models or textures and if you like, you will be named in the game for helping us.
The communication will be handled with Skype mainly. But we also have Mail
All decisions will be handled democratically, but on a deadlock situation, Bergmann, Akaikee and me have the last words.
We also celebrate weekly meetings in order to distribute new tasks and commend new ideas.
Important information about the Design In order to get a nice artwork, I'd like do describe the different races:
- Janaru (human like) - The stations and ships of this race will oriented on the reality (like Spaceshuttle, Fighter, ISS, ...). The color of this race is white.
- Tambinor (fish like) – The Models will look like underwater stations and -ships. The color of this race is blue.
- Bendalir (lavagolem) – This race owns gigantic, blocky or scee-like ships and stations. They should loog like flying rocks The color is of course red.
- Cogadh (kind of a lizard) – The own tall, sharp and edgy ships. (maybe like a cactus). The color of this race is green.
Development-Blog (since yesterday available in english!)
Massive Universe Online on Twitter
If you are Intrested, you can post a comment below or write a mail to [email=""]firstname.lastname@example.org[/email].
Bergmann89, Martok, Akaikee, Teekeks.