• Create Account

Strange Direct Input Problem: Any Advice?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 EpicCupcakes   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hello all. I just found a strange problem in Direct Input that I was hoping someone could shed some light on. I was programming the controls for a simple shooter in C++, DirectX 9, and Visual C++ 2010 Express when I ran into a problem: Direct Input would not register my Up-Left and Down-Right arrow inputs. At first I had no idea why, but with some testing I found that, for whatever reason, when the Spacebar was being pressed (spacebar being my game's shoot command), Direct Input would not register those two directions hybrid, and only those two hybrid directions.

I changed my code a bit, to that instead of having to turn with the arrows and shoot with spacebar, you simply turn and shoot with the arrows. This was a fine solution, but unfortunately my game requires a certain amount of accuracy which is ruined by the new control scheme.

Can anyone shed light on why I Direct X can't sense DIK_UP, DIK_LEFT, and DIK_SPACE, or DIK_DOWN, DIK_RIGHT, and DIK_SPACE at the same time, or is it something I've failed to do? I notice that a lot of programmers usually use some sort of DEFINE statement on their keys before working with DirectInput, which I did not do, and I haven't tested defining the keys to see that solves the problem, as I don't know how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 EpicCupcakes   Members   -  Reputation: 130

1Likes

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I apologize. I found the solution to the problem, and it wasn't a directx or direct input problem at all. It was actually just a type-casting error(I was using ints when I should have used floats). Sorry for the false alarm.

#3 Dave   Members   -  Reputation: 1495

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

It's been said in many DirectInput threads that you shouldn't actually be using it. I don't have the link but this is something Microsoft themselves have said. You can usually do everything you want through windows messaging alone.

#4 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7592

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

One advantage of DirectInput - at least for mouse input - is that you don't get mouse acceleration applied when you use it. This is still not resolved with either Raw Input or Windows messaging, and - depending on the requirements of your game - may very well be preferable.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#5 yckx   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1163

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Yes, Microsoft has stated that Windows messaging generally should be preferred for normal keyboard and mouse input. I don't think I'd use DirectInput unless I was adding joystick support (or gamepad or what have you).

Also note that most keyboards have an issue in which certain keys wont register if certain other keys are being pressed. I forget what it's called, but it's an inherent limitation of the hardware design and no amount of code can fix it. Gaming keyboards tend to suffer less from this flaw, and configurable key bindings can be used as a work-around.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS