To take job or not to take job that is the question

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 11 years, 12 months ago
Hey guys, I am a software engineer graduating this year (knock on wood, two more exams) and plan on entering the software field.

Graphics, game development, game design, game engines are software projects i enjoy a lot (I won't use passionate here but close), and whenever i have free time i always try to learn and develop my skills in my own time since my curriculum didn't really allow me to take a lot of closely related courses.

However as I began my job hunt, I got two offers from companies I had interviewed for (both having nothing to do with graphics and game dev). Both companies are offering nice benefits with an impressive salary. I can't name them because i feel that is extremely unprofessional. I always wanted to start my career somewhere in graphics however my first game related interview I didn't do too well. I don't think they were too impressed with my portfolio (I didn't have as much time as i would have liked to work on it). I understand that my portfolio is not impressive right now and there are so many things I want to do, and have started doing to try to improve my portfolio such as the completion of a small game engine in directX, as well as working with some friends on a small 3D game we decided to develop.

The problem now is, one of my friends is able to get me an interview for a new graduate developer position with a pretty prominent game development company. Also a graphics related company has also agreed to interview me. The dilemma is, the interviews are both after 8 days, and I must decide whether or not to take these 2 jobs that have been offered within this week (around 4 more days).

I am wondering from maybe people in the industry, or whoever has an opinion is it wiser to take one of the jobs now, and keep developing on the side, build up my portfolio and experience and then try to break into the industry? Or is it wiser to take the risk and as a new graduate interview for the two companies i would like to work for, even though there is a medium - large risk (in my opinion) i might not get the jobs and would then end up with nothing.

Thank you for any responses, I apologize if this question has my asked before, I just thought it was relatively specific.
Advertisement
Can't you just ask for a little more time to make a decision?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

For one of the two of those jobs, I can't ask for more time for a decision because the day i must start work is set in stone and is coming up soon. The other job i have not asked for more time and I agree with you in that I will ask them for an extension. However I am thinking the worst case scenario, if the second position cannot offer an extension as there were various other candidates interviewed, although i will try!

Any other opinions? I am not the type of person to just make a decision based on posts, I would just like some advice that I can take into account before delivering my final decision.

I am wondering from maybe people in the industry, or whoever has an opinion is it wiser to take one of the jobs now, and keep developing on the side, build up my portfolio and experience and then try to break into the industry? Or is it wiser to take the risk and as a new graduate interview for the two companies i would like to work for, even though there is a medium - large risk (in my opinion) i might not get the jobs and would then end up with nothing.

I have been in similar difficult positions -- got a job offer in hand, and MIGHT get an offer for a possibly more enjoyable job. If you can't have the time to decide, then you have to make a decision. And only you can make that decision. What I do when I have to make a decision is make a decision grid. There's a decision grid FAQ here in this forum. Back out to the Breaking In forum main page and click "Getting Started".

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice.

I tried to go into the FAQ at the getting started of the breaking in part of the forum, but it brings me to the page you are looking for cannot be located error.

I guess my real question was will i be WORSE off if I don't get a job in the industry as a new graduate?
sounds like you'll just have to make a decision and stick to it. Do what you think is best and don't look back -- that might mean you're passing up a dream job, that might mean you end up with no job at all. Weigh the pros and cons, decide, and commit fully. No regrets, don't look back and wish you'd made another decision--whatever the outcome, at least that approach will allow you to maintain your sanity.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I tried to go into the FAQ at the getting started of the breaking in part of the forum, but it brings me to the page you are looking for cannot be located error.

Hmm. I'll ask the ubermods what happened to the FAQs. In the meantime, here's a direct link:
http://sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

I guess my real question was will i be WORSE off if I don't get a job in the industry as a new graduate?

We cannot foretell your future for you. You need to make a decision grid the best you can - you won't necessarily be able to get enough "data" but you should look at the decision from as many angles as you can.
Pay, convenience to your home, your gut, how do you like the guys you interviewed with, benefits, your five-year goal, and lots of other things.

Thanks for your responses,

I have a lot of thinking to do in the next few days and a lot of calls to make. I trust myself in the decision i will make in the end.

My first big real career decision, I LIKE IT! Haha

The FAQ link has been fixed. Believe, good luck with your decision.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement