• Create Account

Need some help and advice for creating my first game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 ghostman72   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi, I want to learn how to create games and how to write code, I have a very very basic understanding of code however im willing to learn and put in the hours. I thought as my first project I would try to create a racing game similar to Mario kart with graphics similar to those of Mario kart on the n64. However if you believe this would be too difficult then I could always try and create an easier style of game first.

My main problem so far has been trying to find out which language to learn as every website/guide says different things, and also which software I will require. I don't have a lot of money so free software would be ideal. I have no idea where to start so any links to good tutorials would be great.

thanks for any help and advice

Sponsor:

#2 Zael   Members   -  Reputation: 154

1Likes

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

This has been posted many times before. In short though:

C# and XNA are good for a beginner. You should probably be prepared to make your first several programs (games) text based stuff to get a feel for program flow and the art of programming. Visual Studio Express edition is free from Microsoft's website. I don't actually do much C# myself, so I can't really help as far as tutorials go.

Good luck!

#3 bglanzer   Members   -  Reputation: 459

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

We really need a sticky for this question I think I see it at least two times a week.

I agree with Zael. C# and XNA are a good start. go here for a tutorial on c#

Brendon Glanzer

#4 ndssia   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

If you want to work up to Mario Kart 64, I would suggest a 2D top-down racer with "heads" representing the characters; add in collision, items, traffic light boost(!), etc.

Once you have something like that done, you'll know what needs to be done, bar a bit of extra reading for 3D.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS