• Create Account

Revert back to the old GDNet

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mihai Moldovan   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

It's no secret that the new site is having less activity from experienced users than there used to be.

The old layout worked fine for over a decade, so I'll give you a radical suggestion to revert back to it. Posted Image

Probably not very realistic to expect, but who knows. I don't think your targeted audience needs Facebook-Like buttons or mini blog activity thingies.

Edited by Mihai Moldovan, 30 April 2012 - 07:19 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3718

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

Honestly, the signal to noise ratio plummeting has an absurdly greater impact on the activity of experienced users than what bells and whistles the UI has.

#3 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

The new site has progressed a lot from when it was originally released. It's thankfully lost a lot of the "Facebook" feel, to me (though originally it had a very Facebook-ish feel).

For the most part, I actually like the new site. I don't think the old site will magically resurrect some of the old time users. And I don't think it was the new site that caused them to leave.

To be honest though, you've only been a member since October 2011 (which was after the GDv5 release) so I'm not entirely sure I trust you knowing how active the site was years ago... unless you've got an alternate account you've abandoned.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#4 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17206

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

It's no secret that the new site is having less activity from experienced users than there used to be.

I've seen comments to that effect a number of times, but I'm not entirely convinced it's necessarily true. I do think there's been a drop in over-all activity, but I don't think we have a smaller percentage of experienced users contributing than we used to. We're also seeing increased usage of the blogs, which is probably drawing away some traffic that would have previously been in the forums.

This is all just my own impressions however, and I haven't actually seen any numbers to back this up.

The old layout worked fine for over a decade

Sure, to a certain extent, but the software was a bit hacked-together, and any new features appeared very slowly (if at all) and were sometimes a poor match for the rest of the site. Since the update to the new forum software we've already seen two major feature additions (Classifieds and Marketplace) in a relatively short period of time, and our developers are now free to concentrate on the specifics of this site rather than basic forum functionality, security updates, etc. It has taken some time to settle in to the new system, but I think things are running pretty smoothly now, and we have a solid platform to move forward and really work on making the site the absolute best it can be.

That being said, there are more changes in the works, and I have a feeling that if you preferred the older site layout you might like some of what's coming.

#5 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'm actually going to comment again here, and say no it didn't. GDv4 was active for about 5 years, which is hardly "over a decade."
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#6 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2487

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm actually going to comment again here, and say no it didn't. GDv4 was active for about 5 years, which is hardly "over a decade."

Ahh memories...Posted Image

#7 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5141

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Shortly we'll be revising the post format as shown below:

screenshot1.JPG

#8 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

*snip*

What does that large check mean? And will the "Was this post useful to you?" still be there? It seems like an orphan without the buttons by it.

#9 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5141

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

What does that large check mean? And will the "Was this post useful to you?" still be there? It seems like an orphan without the buttons by it.

Ah weird, there should be up/down arrows there.. the upgrade may have broken them. I guess I should explain the check.. it's only visible to people with a certain level of reputation. If you can't select something as an "answer" you can't see the gray buttons. Q&A only will be available in technical forums.

answers.png

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 30 April 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#10 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

I assume the IP addresses aren't visible to the public either?

#11 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5141

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

I assume the IP addresses aren't visible to the public either?

Yeah.. whoops. That's the moderator view.

#12 glaeken   Members   -  Reputation: 294

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

Any word on bookmarks being imported from the old forums? Or at least being able to browse the archives of the old forums (for areas that I don't think were carried over, e.g. IOTD)?

Edited by glaeken, 02 May 2012 - 11:59 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS