• Create Account

- - - - -

Embedding Angelscript in a C application and exposing C++ like objects to host (C) application

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 zetaReticullan   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

I am writing a C application which I want to add scripting functionality to. I have decided to use AngelScript since it satisfies my requirements and can also be embedded in a C application, using its C bindings.
However, (this is where things get a little bit trickier). I want to make life eas(ier) for the application scripters, so I want to expose scriptable objects (which are C++ wrappers around my internal C data types etc), so that a user does not have to worry about memory management, dangling pointers etc.)

So, my question is that is it possible to expose C++ objects to AngelScript (for user scripting), whilst embedding the AngelScript engine itself in a C application by means of Angelscripts C binding?.

Sponsor:

#2 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3226

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

I'm a little bit confused about your situation.

If you are able to use C++ wrappers for your C data types, why do you need to use the C interface for AngelScript? Why not use the C++ interface directly? The only use for the C interface is if you cannot use C++ code at all, i.e. your application is written in pure C.

The C interface doesn't understand C++ method pointers, so if you need to register C++ classes it needs to use the C++ interface, or else you need to use global wrapper functions for all C++ class methods.
AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#3 zetaReticullan   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your quick response. The situation is as follows:

I am writing my code in pure ANSI C (actually, its mostly legacy C code). My users don't know - or care that the app is written in C - however, providing scripting in C++ will make things easier for them (and me) - because it allows to avoid some of the problems I mentioned earlier.

Your response has made me think - maybe it is not possible to do what I wanted to do.

Having said that, I notice that the source test application for the C binding has .cpp (instead of a 'c' extension file). Also, athough the cpp file also contains an extern "C" {} declaration, it contains a class declaration - which is not valid C syntax.

Could you confirm if AngelScript been tested in a pure C application compiled on Linux?

Thanks

#4 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3226

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

To use the C interface you have to compile the library together with the C interface as a C++ dynamic library, that you will then link with in your C application. The C application will use the C interface header file, i.e. angelscript_c.h, instead of the C++ header file.

I have not tested it with a pure C application on Linux. Besides upgrading the interface to the latest version of AngelScript, I'm sure there won't be a lot of adjustments needed though.

Most C code can be compiled as C++ with only changes to the makefile, or very small changes to the C code. Is that an option for you? It would allow you to mix the old legacy C code with the C++ wrapper classes that you want to use as well as use the AngelScript C++ interface directly.
AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#5 zetaReticullan   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

Thanks. I will try compiling and testing the code in a pure C application and let you know if I have any problems.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS