• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Window appearance customization

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 andrei94   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hello everyone ! My name is Andrei , i'm 18 and im looking forward being a programmer :D

My big question is how can i change the look of a window so that it wont have the window's basic boring aspect ;D ( i'm working with c++)

Thanks to everyone who post usefull ideeas or advices :D

Sponsor:

#2 Dave   Members   -  Reputation: 1521

0Likes

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Well if you take an application such as Spotify:

http://cf.scdn.co/u/wp/2008/07/spotify-030.png

They use Windows Template Library and do all of their own custom drawing. If you want to do this in C++ then that's a pretty good option however you'll find yourself dealing heavily with windows messaging and drawing at quite a primitive level. I played around with WTL recently and to be honest I didn't think it was all that. I found it to be such a light wrapper that it was almost pointless, it's handling of windows messaging is definitely an improvement though. I chose to ditch WTL and just do my custom GUI stuff in a Direct3D window since i was making a 3d editor and wanted an in-engine GUI as well.

The approach you take will depend on the type of application you are writing. Can you give us more information on what you are making?

#3 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

You could also use Qt. Qt lets you create a cross platform program (in C++) and create the window layout, and it can either use the native window drawing system (so on OS X, Linux, and Windows you get the native look and feel), or you can customize the rendering (we do this at my work in Squeeze) to get your own look.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#4 Dave   Members   -  Reputation: 1521

1Likes

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Cornstalks. Did you use QT edit to lay that out?

#5 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

1Likes

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Cornstalks. Did you use QT edit to lay that out?

Yes and no. I didn't do it, but yes, Qt Designer was used to design a lot of the widgets. The main window is hard coded C++, but uses our custom widgets to piece the whole window together (for example, the preview window and the preset boxes are different widgets, and the main window class just creates an instance of each and places them). I work GUI-less stuff though, so that's about all I know about the GUI.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#6 andrei94   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

well im trying to do a windows app with customized appearance Posted Image with d3d y i know i can do it ... but its used mostly for games...

PS: i dont want to render at a high fps rate.. nor to be real time

Edited by andrei94, 05 May 2012 - 02:15 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS