"Boot Hill Heroes" - Wild West Retro RPG with 1-4 Player Co-op

Started by
1 comment, last by DapperDave 11 years, 11 months ago
[color=#666666]
Kickstarter - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/155773634/boot-hill-heroes-wild-west-retro-rpg-with-1-4-play
[color=#666666]
PlotSummary.png[color=#666666]
After an alleged attack by the Chepakwik Indians, the people of Bronco County are on the brink of war. Only a farm boy who knows the truth that can stop it. Together with his three friends - a gunslinging desperado, an Indian princess, and a calamity jane - he must expose a conspiracy by bringing to justice the six outlaws of the notorious Saints-Little gang. Their journey will take them through cowtowns, Indian villages, ranches, gold mines, prisons, and into the very heart and soul of the American Wild West. But on their epic adventure to right the wrongs of the past, will they see justice done or discover an even darker secret lying in wait behind the scenes?[color=#666666]
Screenshot1.png[color=#666666]
GameConcept.png[color=#666666]
Take one part Final Fantasy, one part Earthbound, and one part Chrono Trigger - then dip the whole thing in spicy Wild West sauce! Boot Hill Heroes is a true retro RPG set in the American Wild West. You'll find all the trappings of a spaghetti western - gunslingers, saloons, Indians, ranches, spittoons, Mexican standoffs, heroism, villainy, and everything in between. Boot Hill Heroes has adventure, drama, and a fair helping of humor. It's just like the classic RPGs you remember from yesteryear but with an inventive new spin! [color=#666666]
Screenshot2.png[color=#666666]
GameInformation.png

• Genre: Retro RPG, Spaghetti Western
  • Players: 1-4 Local Co-op
  • Full Release Target: October 2012
  • Platform: Windows / Xbox 360 - Xbox Live Indie Games
[color=#666666]
xboxwindowslogos.png[color=#666666]
Screenshot3.png[color=#666666]
Features.png

• Spaghetti Western story with adventure, drama, and humor
  • 4-Player Cooperative combat inspired by Final Fantasy III/VI
  • Use Power Points in combat to attack as well as defend
  • Wear Job Hats, learn new abilities
  • Charming graphics inspired by Earthbound

[color=#666666]
Screenshot4.png
[color=#666666]

Screenshot5.png
FAQ.png
Say what? A Four-Player coop turn-based RPG? That sounds like crazy talk.
Not really. The game has four characters, so we thought - Why not make it four players? The game features a team of four characters – Kid, Doc, Moon, and Rosy. A single player can control the entire party, or friends can play cooperatively by taking controlling of certain characters. Players can seamlessly drop-in and drop-out just by picking up an Xbox controller (or an input device for the Windows version). The menu system is designed so that four players can simultaneously manage their characters’ equipment and abilities.

Is this game made with RPGMaker?
No. Boot Hill Heroes is made in XNA with C#. RPGMaker is a great software tool, but in order to have all the features we wanted in the game it was easier to just to start from scratch.
What do you still need to add?
The hard part is over. We started this project not knowing much about game programming and design. But after a year of fumbling our way through code we have a complete game engine. It works. It plays. All the features we want are in there. I can't believe I can truly say this, but it is done! Now we just have to create the rest of the art, music, and sound content and work on balancing out the game play.
Screenshot6.png

WantedPoster.gif
Advertisement
Fantastic-looking project! I can't wait to try it out--sounds like something I could get my wife to play with me. Plus, I bet having a few co-op partners would very much help to alleviate any tediousness inherent in turn-based combat.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

Fantastic-looking project! I can't wait to try it out--sounds like something I could get my wife to play with me. Plus, I bet having a few co-op partners would very much help to alleviate any tediousness inherent in turn-based combat.

Glad you like it. Prepare to like it more when I tell you that the combat is not actually turn-based, but real-time! Much more fun we think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement