• Create Account

Tutorial for making 2d text-based game in opengl in c++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 adamk33n3r   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hey everyone. I am wondering if any of you know where i can find a good tutorial on how to use opengl in c++ to make a 2d text-based game, something kind of like dwarf fortress, but a whole lot simpler. I have already started a game with menus and options and whatnot but id like to convert the graphical output to opengl. I have looked on the internet and most everything i find is making a 3d game. Also, i've seen SDL in some of the things ive seen.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance and i would also prefer if the guides were written for coding in linux but that is just a preference. Thanks again,

Adam

Edited by adamk33n3r, 08 May 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 laztrezort   Members   -  Reputation: 954

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but libtcod http://doryen.eptalys.net/libtcod/ contains an OpenGL renderer as part of its library.

Unless you are specifically trying to learn OpenGL, I'd stick to leveraging a library for your use, and libtcod is fairly full featured for its domain.

#3 adamk33n3r   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

I'll try that out. Thanks

#4 __SKYe   Members   -  Reputation: 952

0Likes

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

Go to http://nehe.gamedev.net/.

It has a bunch of tutorials, including:
Creating a window in OpenGL
Loading a font (bitmap, Freetype) and render text in OpenGL
Load Textures
etc

It's got more than enough for what you need.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS