Reputation++ for logging in? Really?

Started by
80 comments, last by Gaiiden 11 years, 10 months ago
Hi,

I just saw that I get one reputation point for logging in. To the extent that reputation is worth anything, it is an indicator of how helpful a member is to the community. Whether I check the option to stay logged in or I enter my password every time is not interesting at all and is just polluting the score, making it less informative.

Can we please get rid of this unfortunate feature?
Advertisement
(Just tried it)
Wow yeah that is different! (not to mention it took me forever to remember my login credentials)

This was almost surely a mistake. If not, what's the reasoning behind it?

I just saw that I get one reputation point for logging in. To the extent that reputation is worth anything, it is an indicator of how helpful a member is to the community. Whether I check the option to stay logged in or I enter my password every time is not interesting at all and is just polluting the score, making it less informative.

Can we please get rid of this unfortunate feature?

Good observation.. Logging in is +1. This is not an accident and is the result of a lot of discussion and months of planning and development. Logging in is considered "Participation" and it increments your overall reputation by 1. We have not rolled out the full extent of what reputation will entail just yet but to give you some insight, you also get +100 for signing up. A lot of these changes are going to allow you to directly impact your own reputation in a positive way, but some things you'll do are harder than others.

This will be a MAJOR change when it's fully rolled out.. the biggest way to earn points will be through authoring articles. This will bring potentially +150 points to your rep for a successfully peer-reviewed article. You also get bonus for everyone who likes your article. People who also choose to "Follow" your topics/articles/blog post will also give you a points boost.

Reputation is segmented into four categories: Scholar, Author, Moderator, and Participation
See the tabs at - http://www.gamedev.net/sm/

Right now we are making sure the system is functional and recording some minor transactions correctly without incident. Upvotes are going to be scaled in the future to give you more points if a high-rated user upvotes you. So +1 from logging in is going to be next to nothing in terms of its overall impact.

Here's the coolest aspect of the program.. the more points you get in a category it will unlock increased abilities within the site. This could even go as far as to allow you to edit people's posts, modify tags, approve content, etc.
I would understand logging in as a reputation boost if staying logged in and visiting the site also did the reputation boost. It seems that it only kicks in if you explicitly log in.

I would understand logging in as a reputation boost if staying logged in and visiting the site also did the reputation boost. It seems that it only kicks in if you explicitly log in.

Yeah, that's a bug that I noticed last night. The board software doesn't trigger the login event unless you explicitly log in.. so I'm going to adapt it to work like you describe. What will most likely happen is that we roll out ways to boost your rep a few at a time and watch the system for a few days so we don't have some ways that are too overpowered.

My first concern will be reintroducing weighted up/down votes.. where a person with a higher rating can make a bigger impact. I think it's capped at +8 max and -4 min at the moment.
I really hope these logging-in points truly are almost negligible in their overall impact. It seems weird to give reputation points to a crappy participant for participating (by logging in) (not that there are tons of crappy participants, but we all know we've got some) (and I know that's what down-votes are for, but still, the concept is... weird). Maybe at least only +1 people who have a certain minimum score? (maybe 100ish seeing as that's the starting default now?)
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1336664834' post='4939023']

Yeah, that's a bug that I noticed last night. The board software doesn't trigger the login event unless you explicitly log in.. so I'm going to adapt it to work like you describe. What will most likely happen is that we roll out ways to boost your rep a few at a time and watch the system for a few days so we don't have some ways that are too overpowered.

My first concern will be reintroducing weighted up/down votes.. where a person with a higher rating can make a bigger impact. I think it's capped at +8 max and -4 min at the moment.
[/quote]

Is there a cap on the number of login points you can get per day ? (If not i can see some abuse of that feature on the horizon)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You can fix the issue of staying logged in versus explicitly logging in by counting as +1 the first page view of the day.

But I still don't want it. I was happy with getting +1 or -1 from the opinions of other forum members. If the formula gets more complicated, the reputation number gets harder to interpret. Anyway, that's just my opinion.
I honestly don't mind, I do think there should be a limited number of login points awarded per day though. Maybe 3 or 4. Other than that, I don't have any problems with people getting points for logging in.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Most things will have caps to prevent too much reputation movement in a given day. Generally-speaking, for active members it all works out in the end since you stay on the same level as other members by staying active. Login points right now are limited to one per day max.

We're tweaking the responsibilities you can earn just yet but we also want to encourage more article authorship through monthly article competitions (with perhaps even a prize pool). Ideally we start putting together a much more comprehensive body of knowledge with google acting as the main interface for getting at that info for people outside the site.

We love what http://www.codeproject.com/ is doing, but we want something with a more game developer centric community. So we pulled ideas from both there, stackexchange, MSDN, and strangely enough.. our Pre-2011 GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement