• Create Account

How to find the position of object after move to an angle

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Arun Haridas   Members   -  Reputation: 148

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hello friends,
i just started to game developing.
please tell me how to move an object in any angle (maths)?

If
angle = angle to move
x1 = current x position
y1 = current y position
sp = distance to move

then what will be the position of the object after moving 'sp' distance of angle 'angle' from position (x1,y1)
[Mathematical equation]

Thank you

Sponsor:

#2 Oolala   Members   -  Reputation: 687

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:12 AM

I'm not 100% sure I follow you correctly, but... Assuming sp is a vector, and not just a distance, the general equation would be roughly <x1, y1> + M * sp where M is the 2D rotation matrix given by {{cos(angle), -sin(angle)},{sin(angle), cos(angle)}}. If sp is a "distance", rotation has no meaning. You can only rotate relative to some reference frame.

#3 mrjones   Members   -  Reputation: 612

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

I think you might want this equation, if sp is just distance, not a vector. Moving at angle 0 means moving on x-axis in this equation:

x2 = x1 + cos(angle) * sp
y2 = y1 + sin(angle) * sp

For example moving from (0, 0) at an angle 0 to distance 5 would give the following result:
x2 = 0 + 1 * 5 = 5
y2 = 0 + 0 * 5 = 0

Edited by mrjones, 16 May 2012 - 04:36 AM.

#4 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 11709

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

If instead of using an angle you were to use a vector (dx, dy) of length 1 to indicate the same information, the code would simply be
x2 = x1 + dx * sp;
y2 = y1 + dy * sp;

I recommend doing that and avoiding angles as much as possible.

#5 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

If instead of using an angle you were to use a vector (dx, dy) of length 1 to indicate the same information, the code would simply be

x2 = x1 + dx * sp;
y2 = y1 + dy * sp;

I recommend doing that and avoiding angles as much as possible.

This. Vectors carry a significant amount of information in a small package and have surprisingly simple functions for getting pretty much everything that's important once you understand them. It takes a while to wrap your head around vectors and matrices, but once you do you'll be much happier.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS